Duplicate detection failures make me ignore warnings from 1Password

jorhett
jorhett
Community Member

I love the idea of duplicate detection. It helps me find redundancies. Unfortunately, it's super-limited sense of what is a duplicate means I tend to ignore it (and all other warnings) far more often than I should.

In every job I've had in the last 20 years there have been unified SSO which required different logins but kept the same password in sync. This has gotten even worse with the prevalence of cloud-based services which utilize unique formats for login to separate customers.

Use case:

• joeuser@company.com on gmail
  • Company\Joeuser on Office365
  • joeuser@company on HR benefits site
  • joeuser by itself on local Jenkins server

This is FYI a simple example, I've had as many as 7 variations at one job. All of these services authenticate against the same SSO, when I change my password it changes for all of them (otherwise I'd just use different passwords for each)

Now, I don't mind having to update my password N times. What bothers me is that 1Password goes to extreme lengths to warn me about reusing the password: inline warnings, popup warnings, etc. And what I've found is that I'm now "tuning out" to these warnings, and have stopped paying attention to them because they are prevalent. This caught me out the other day, where I overlooked a real duplicate because I'm blind to these alerts now.

Possible improvements:

• Add a field which can say "these logins are related" for the purpose of disabling redundancy. Even better if it kept the passwords in sync ;-)
  • I supposed you could enable a hash of URL -> Login within a single entry but I can't imagine how this could be done without a complex UI
  • (worse case) Allow a person to Ignore this warning for a specific entry.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jorhett: Thank you for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear that you're having some workflow issues there due to having to use multiple usernames for the same account. Indeed, we don't have a solution for that particular use case in 1Password currently as that's not something that's common for the vast majority of users. But I can certainly appreciate how annoying it must be for you being stuck with that situation at work. :blush: Some people in similar situations have found that having the login portal save their username allows them to simply use a single Login item in 1Password with multiple URLs for that purpose (since the password is the same). And we're also exploring ways we might offer some more flexibility with regard to Watchtower notices to help with these sorts of cases, without encouraging all of the people not in your situation to ignore password reuse altogether. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I understand your point. As I mentioned, it's something we're exploring. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jorhett: You've used the word "alarms" quite a few times. As 1Password doesn't have alarms of any kind, I thought that was a bit melodramatic. :lol:

Again, I agree that it would be nice to be able to dismiss the notices in item details in cases where they are not actionable -- in addition to being collapsable, as they are in the current version. Thanks for sharing your perspective. :)

• We agree and hope to be able to offer a workable solution in the future.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jorhett: Please read my whole message, not just the funny part. ;) It concluded with, "I agree that it would be nice to be able to dismiss the notices in item details in cases where they are not actionable -- in addition to being collapsable, as they are in the current version." Not sure why you're arguing with me when I'm agreeing with you. :)

• imt
    imt
    Community Member

@jorhett initial example/explanation I also have seen numerous times.

But, I also have another.

I have just helped with getting my parents on 1Password. There are numerous sites that use the same username and password. For example, Medicare uses "Health ID" for authentication and that is also used at OptumRX and AARP United Healthcare, etc. They all use the same Medicare Health ID for authentication.

Ideal is having each site with their own login "name" so you can easily identify. Linking is a bad term, since there is a "Link" button but doesn't do what is needed. What would solve both @jorhett issue and this example would be a way to "group" logins together with a "shared" field. So in @jorhett case, you can "group" and "share" the password field "from another login. In my case, you would "share" both the "username"and "password". When the field is updated in one login, lets say the "password" its the same in all since hey are all viewing the same "field".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@imt: Thanks for the feedback! I can certainly appreciate that your idea of "grouping" could theoretically help in your case, but assuming that's the best solution (there are a lot of other considerations, so I'm not sure that it is), that's not something that's possible today or feasible in the short term, as it would require significant changes to seven apps (depending on how you're counting) across multiple platforms. And development and testing takes time, especially on a scale like that, so we'd rather be sure of what needs to be done taking into account a wide variety of factors before doing something like that. Otherwise it helps no one.

Have you considered adding multiple URLs to a single Login item, if all of those sites use the same username and password anyway? It sounds like that would help in this case, and has the benefit of being something that is possible already. Then there would be no duplicate passwords across multiple items, and you'd only have to update it in one place.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jorhett: It's 1Password mini, in version 7.3.1. I don't recall exactly which version we added this feature in, but it's been there a while now.

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

Edited:
    I inadvertently missed that jorhett had already discovered that you can't collapse these overly large banners in the main app.
    (Wish I could delete this comment!)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TonyHall, no worries! :+1: :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I think it has been just a misunderstanding :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jorhett: I didn't remove any posts. I wasn't here anymore. I was sleeping. That's why Ana replied. :lol: Have a good night!

This discussion has been closed.