Any multiple iCloud sync options now the Dropbox limits connected devices?

JeremyBechtold
JeremyBechtold
Community Member

I'm posting in Mac, but it's likely just as much iOS being of concern for the question. (admins/mods: feel fee to move it where best fits if you think it's better elsewhere)

I've been using 1Password since at least 2006, if memory serves. It's so long I don't have the old emails to help me remember. Until tonight, I've used dropbox to sync for as long as I've synced. Dropbox recently removed my ability to keep my 2 Macs, 3 iPads, and 4 iPhones all synced because way back when Dropbox came about, I was one of those who promoted the heck out of it and got almost 20gb of free storage just by earning free space when sharing a referral key and since then I rarely use more than 75% of my free space, so I'm loathe to pay $10/mo for something I'll never use. Back to the problem... now I cannot sync with Dropbox because of the three device limit.

This evening I set my main iPhone, home iPad, and home Macbook Air to all sync via iCloud, and then told my wife to sync the same on her iPhone as she's always shared the main primary vault with me. Now I realize that while she shares my itunes account on her iPhone for music and apps, she uses her own iCloud account and that's trouble. Tomorrow when I get to work, I'll sync my iMac and two more iOS devices which DO use my same iCloud account. Still, I fear my wife will be left out.

For other apps which don't have sync options, I've set up unix symbolic links to those files and placed them in dropbox and they worked to sync things to home and work macs. I thought maybe I'd try something similar with my iCloud drive, but as best I can tell, the actual vault file isn't available in a Finder-accessible location (at least not without some digging which I haven't done). And frankly, with a 1P vault, I'm not too keen on the idea of using a symlink for something so important.

Does anyone know of a method, workaround, or any other way that I can use my iCloud account to sync the standalone versions of 1P across all my devices, and still somehow provide access to my wife on her iPhone?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:multiple icloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JeremyBechtold!

I am not aware of a workaround that allows you to do all of these things with iCloud I am afraid. We built 1Password.com exactly to avoid having to rely on a third-party service to sync your data. Our own sync service does not have any limitations whatsoever, and is therefore the best method available to sync your data, and it would allow you to do all the things you are asking for :)

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Jeremy, I'm in the exact same boat as you. I don't have as many devices but I do have 2 macs, my iPhone and my wife's iPhone. That makes 4 devices. I don't need the extra storage, I just need more devices. I will not pay $10 for one extra device. I suppose I could manually keep things the 1password database in sync from iCloud to Dropbox for my wife. Kind of a hassle to do that, but doable. She only needs it on her iPhone. Or for that matter, I could keep Dropbox for my 3 devices and update her iCloud manually? Have you come up with any other ideas using iCloud? I will be posting another thread to ask how to migrate from Dropbox to iCloud (or google it).

ag_ana, is there a charge to use the AgileBits' sync service?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn: I have posted my answers to the other discussions so we don't end up with information in too many places ;)

This discussion has been closed.