What is this "unlock with Command-Shift-X"?

siplhium
siplhium
Community Member

The most recent update to 1Password seems to have a new behavior whereby I am told to press Command-Shift-X to unlock 1Password to use it in Chrome. I don't have any autolocking set. What's going on, and can I get rid of it? Also, the workflow to do the required browser plugin update was messy and confusing. It should be simple and straightforward.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• Hi @siplhium,

It sounds like you may be used to our traditional 1Password extension that integrates with 1Password for Mac, but have installed 1Password X instead. Could you please confirm? If that is the case please uninstall the 1Password X extension and install this extension for the experience you're accustom to:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member

I'm attaching a screenshot to show what I'm referring to. Again, 1Password is not locked (I can open the application without having to unlock it) and all autolock preferences are turned off.

• @siplhium

That definitely looks like 1Password X, which does not currently have integration with 1Password for Mac (i.e. it locks and unlocks separately from 1Password for Mac). Did you get a chance to review my above reply?

Ben

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member

All good now. Thank you, Ben. As I mentioned in my post, the process for updating the extension was not good. As it turned out, it was the cause of my problem; I just checked my extensions and I had both the regular and "X" extensions installed. I trashed the latter and things seem normal again. I suggest that you folks review the extension update workflow after installing the 1Password update, beginning with the initial notification, and make sure that it is clear and goes smoothly. I recall wondering when and whether it was actually installed, which version I should have, etc. I didn't even know there was an "X" version. Thanks again.

• @siplhium

Nothing about the update flow would cause 1Password X to be installed, so I'm not sure how you would've ended up with that if you didn't manually install it yourself. We do offer both on our downloads page. I wonder if perhaps at some point along the way there may have been some confusion and you installed 1Password X when intending to install the traditional extension?

Download for Mac

In any event, I'm glad to hear that uninstalling 1Password X has restored your desired experience. :)

Ben

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member

@Ben,

I didn't mean to suggest that the update flow directly caused me to install the wrong extension. Yes, I installed it myself, but only after the update flow left me wondering what the heck was happening (I'm sure you know the feeling). Even if I noticed that what was installed was called "X", I wouldn't have known that it was the wrong extension, and that there were two different 1Password extensions. I'd be very surprised if I was the only user who was confused by the update flow, and it just seemed to me that someone missed something in designing or doing QA for that flow. If I'm wrong, and you folks are 100% confident about that flow, then I guess it's on me. Thanks again.

• Gotcha. I understand now. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here. It is a bit of an inherently tricky situation having two different but similarly named extensions. Hopefully as things continue to evolve we'll be able to simplify. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.