I had license for V6 and now updated to V7. Do I have to pay $2.99 monthly?

FloydC
FloydC
Community Member

I had license for V6 and now updated to V7. Do I have to pay $2.99 monthly or can I keep using license for V6?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• FloydC
    FloydC
    Community Member

Ben, Will I be able to quit 7 and revert to v6, or do I need to get whole nother password app since I am not going to pay $3.00 per month?

• Hi @FloydC

1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

We can't recommend using an older version. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to revert to an earlier version that is your prerogative (licenses don't expire), but it isn't something we can recommend.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• FloydC
    FloydC
    Community Member

Hello Ben, Please clarify - I want to uninstall version 7 and reinstall version 6 of 1password. How do I do this without losing all my v6 data? I see the online instructions, but don't want to lose all my old data. Thanks. Floyd

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2019

@FloydC

We can't recommend using an older version. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, the upcoming Safari 13 will be using an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you'd like to revert to v6 instructions can be found here, but that should be considered a temporary measure.

Ben

• FloydC
    FloydC
    Community Member

@Ben Turns out version 6.8 is still in the applications folder and works. Wonder why you never mentioned that? I will be looking for a new pw manager.

• @FloydC

I did post the instructions for reverting to 1Password 6, but ultimately if you don't plan to upgrade to 1Password 7 a different solution altogether may be the better way forward. I hope you're able to find something you're comfortable with and confident in, and if you ever change your mind we'll be here to help.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.