Can I "force" 1P7 to be used for 2FA?

mile089
mile089
Community Member

Okay, so I do like the possibility to use 1P7 as an authenticator for 2FA so that I don't have to get yet another separate app. Unfortunately 1P7 does not recognize the availability of 2FA on some of the sites that I use -- one of them being PayPal. So it does not show me any options to use it with the site, like to scan a code or enter a key or whatever.

First of all I am kind of surprised and sad that this is happening at all. Is there a specific reason why this is the case?

Secondly, is there any way to still get 1P7 to handle the 2FA anyway? I really don't want to install Duo or something else just for the 2-3 remaining sites that 1P7 keeps ignoring.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mile089!

First of all I am kind of surprised and sad that this is happening at all. Is there a specific reason why this is the case?

Yes, because the website decided to not implement this feature. If a website doesn't support 2FA via a TOTP and decided to use a proprietary 2FA implementation instead (or just allow 2FA via SMS, without allowing an authenticator app at all), 1Password won't be able to act as an authenticator for that specific website, because the feature simply doesn't exist.

Looking at PayPal specifically however, since you mentioned it, they do support QR codes to activate 2FA. You just need to select the correct option:

It should also be noted though that, according to twofactorauth.org, PayPal's 2FA might not be available in every country, so if you don't see that option, perhaps you live in a country where PayPal doesn't support 2FA.

you need to tell 1Password if you are using a third-party system for 2FA (for example, on PayPal), otherwise 1Password cannot know that you are doing this. It can only know about the sites for which it acts as the authenticator itself.

In order to let 1Password know about these logins, try adding a "2FA" tag to the item, and 1Password will not prompt you about the missing 2FA anymore ;)

Secondly, is there any way to still get 1P7 to handle the 2FA anyway? I really don't want to install Duo or something else just for the 2-3 remaining sites that 1P7 keeps ignoring.

No it's not, unless the developers of that website add the feature. If you want to request they add this feature, the best thing is to reach out to these websites and request that they support TOTP 2FA.

This discussion has been closed.