Unintentionally have multiple vaults / Mini not finding the correct item [make sure URL matches]

johnzonie
johnzonie
Community Member
edited July 2019 in Mac

Started with v4 and find 7 confusing. Currently on the trial. A couple of questions.
1. On this forum, I logged out and used forgot password. Used the link in the email to reset the password allowing 1PW mini to generate the password. Again logged out. CMD-\ did not provide the login but gave me the whole list of 577 items!!! Kind of defeats the CMD-\ purpose. What am I doing wrong?
2. I have two "vaults", one called personal and one called 1Password. IIRC, Is Personal my old 6.9.8 one and 1Password is the one used with v7? Am I safe in deleting Personal? I believe Personal was saved in either dropbox or iCloud.
3. Is your design expectation that CMD-\ would work in most cases?

I really think a detailed migration discussion from older versions to 7 would be of immense help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johnzonie!

1. On this forum, I logged out and used forgot password. Used the link in the email to reset the password allowing 1PW mini to generate the password. Again logged out. CMD-\ did not provide the login but gave me the whole list of 577 items!!! Kind of defeats the CMD-\ purpose. What am I doing wrong?

What is the URL of your 1Password forum item inside the 1Password app?

1. I have two "vaults", one called personal and one called 1Password. IIRC, Is Personal my old 6.9.8 one and 1Password is the one used with v7? Am I safe in deleting Personal? I believe Personal was saved in either dropbox or iCloud.

Personal is the vault inside your 1Password account, and as such you cannot delete it. We recommend using this vault as your default vault.

The 1Password vault sounds like something you might have created, so that is possibly your old vault.

1. Is your design expectation that CMD-\ would work in most cases?

Yes, that's correct. Not every website is created equally though, so if you see some websites that are not behaving correctly, please always feel free to report it to us so we can test it :)

• johnzonie
    johnzonie
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I was using an old URL to the forum. I reset the password and added the new URL. All works now.

While I don't recall creating the 1Password vault, it may have happened while trying to figure out how to migrate to 7. So is it safe to delete it?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@johnzonie:

I was using an old URL to the forum.

That would explain it. If the URL you were visiting is different than the one inside your 1Password item, 1Password will show you every entry by default because you don't have any login item that matches that URL ;)

I am glad to hear that everything works fine now that you added the new URL.

While I don't recall creating the 1Password vault, it may have happened while trying to figure out how to migrate to 7. So is it safe to delete it?

if you look inside that vault, do you see any items in there? If it is empty, you can certainly delete it right away.

If there is data that you would like to keep, you can move any items from the 1Password vault to your Personal vault first.

• johnzonie
    johnzonie
    Community Member

The 1Password vault seems to have everything that is in the Personal vault, except the few things I have added since choosing Personal as the default. I have set the Personal one as default and will probably delete the 1Password one eventually.

Thanks for your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@johnzonie - if the data seems to be mostly a duplicate copy except for the newest things that have been added/changed since switching to Personal as your default vault, then yes, I'd strongly suggest removing 1Password vault. If you leave it, you'll run the risk of creating/changing data in different parts of both vaults, resulting in neither one being fully complete and up-to-date...and requiring a tedious, manual process of checking every change to make sure you can get a complete copy of your data into Personal. Be aware that vault deletions are permanent. Once you delete one, it's gone: you cannot restore it and neither can we. That's not a reason NOT to delete this user-created 1Password vault, but it is a reason to make absolutely sure you've moved any items in this vault that aren't already in Personal as well, over into Personal before you proceed with the deletion. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• johnzonie
    johnzonie
    Community Member

Thanks, Lars. Will do.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@johnzonie - :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.