To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can I use 1password without purchasing a subscription? [Yes, but membership highly recommended]

cheryl1357
cheryl1357
Community Member
edited July 2019 in Memberships

hi, my 1password was working fine. I purchased it 2 years ago (I think) for my mac and my iphone.

suddenly it won't work - it comes up and says 1password 7 for mac, and that I must subscribe. It's read-only until then. Is this true? Previously I used iCloud to backup my 1Password passwords. I

I have an agilekeychain file that should have my secret word in it, but it is not clear to me -- what happened? Do I need to somehow decode the .agilekeychain file and enter my secret key and login and password and all will be okay? Or do I now have to subscribe to keep using 1password?

Thanks,

Cheryl

1Password 7
Version 7.2.2 (70202007)
Mac App Store

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14 (Mojave)
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:hi, my 1password was working fine. I purchased it for my mac and my iphone. suddenly it won't work

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You have the choice of a subscription or a licence for 1PW7. However, for reasons related to the way the App Store works, 1PW7 from the App Store is subscription only, and if you want a licence you have to get 1PW direct from AgileBits. It is a paid upgrade if you don't have a subscription.

What were you using until now? If it was 1PW6 you should still be able to use it (though this is not recommended long-term). If it isn't currently on your computer you should be able to find it in the Purchases tab of your App Store account.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cheryl1357 - it sounds like you upgraded your installation from 1Password 6 for Mac to 1Password 7 for Mac. Did you recently do that intentionally, or did you perhaps reformat your hard drive or get a new Mac? If you were previously using 1Password in standalone mode (i.e. - not a 1password.com membership), then 1Password would not have prompted you to upgrade from version 6 to version 7 precisely because it IS a new version and thus requires a new purchase.

@danco is quite correct that you should be able to Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then delete version 7 by dragging it to your Mac's trash. Once you do that, you should be able to open the Mac App Store on your Mac, click your name in the lower-left corner and see/download all your previous purchases/downloads. Make sure you find the one that says only "1Password," not the one that says 1Password 7. Install that older version, and everything should be as it was. However, @danco is also correct that sticking with the now-retired version 6 is not a long-term solution. If you want to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac (and you should, to keep current), you'll need either a 1password.com membership or a standalone license. 1Password 7 for Mac is not sold via the Mac App Store as a standalone product, so if you want to go the standalone license route, you'd need to install from our downloads page instead. Let us know if you have any questions.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@cheryl1357 Is there a reason you don't want to update your 1Password application?

• cheryl1357
    cheryl1357
    Community Member

I liked updating, but did not want to start paying a monthly fee. I paid for both 1Password desktop and 1Password mobile app. What does 1Password 7 and monthly fee get me that I did not have before?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cheryl1357 - for the same reason you update macOS: it gets you the current version of 1Password, with all the enhancements, bug fixes and security updates. As a security company, we can't really recommend in good conscience that people intentionally stay with a retired legacy version of 1Password, while they continue to update their browser and version of operating system around it. Over time incompatibilities will crop up and increase, and eventually you may even be risking backing yourself into a corner, like all of these folks who continued trying to run 1Password 3 for iOS even after they switched to iOS 11, and who (some of them) lost their data permanently as a result.

If it's just the subscription that's keeping you from upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac, good news: we still sell standalone licenses for the new version. You can download our version from our downloads page and on first-run, you'll get the Purchase Options screen, which will (if you click the indicated link below) take you to our FastSpring store where you can purchase a standalone license for the "launch special" pricing of $49.99 (a 23% discount off the eventual retail price of $64.99):

Hope that helps! :)

• af1p
    af1p
    Community Member

As this is relevant to my use case as well I'd appreciate it if you could clarify something for me @Lars (or others). I have been using icloud to sync my vault between devices (I only use iOS/MacOS). As iCloud is only available to apps that are downloaded from the app store, does this mean that I cannot continue to do this without purchasing a subscription/1password.com account?

Note: I'd be happy to pay a discounted subscription rate to use the software WITHOUT the 1password.com account. iCloud works just fine for me currently.

• Hi @af1p.

As iCloud is only available to apps that are downloaded from the app store

That was true at one time but is no longer the case. 1Password downloaded from our website can sync with iCloud, and is in fact the only way now to sync 1Password with iCloud. 1Password from the App Store requires 1Password.com.

Note: I'd be happy to pay a discounted subscription rate to use the software WITHOUT the 1password.com account. iCloud works just fine for me currently.

I understand you're happy with iCloud, but we don't currently offer anything like that. We really don't recommend using standalone vaults in conjunction with a subscription membership, largely due to some difficulties that doing so is prone to cause. The primary difficulty tends to be confusion regarding the Master Password, which is the last thing you want to wind up confused about. 1Password.com is the best path forward and the way of the future. :+1:

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@af1p Yes as Ben mentions, the website subscription one is way simple to use and set up, seems like less work then having to set the application with a standalone license.

• Indeed. :+1:

Ben

• af1p
    af1p
    Community Member

Hi Ben,Tomatoshadow2.

Appreciate the responses, however it seems like my use case is not really supported any more. While I can appreciate why this would be the case from a agilebits business case I have to say it's a disappointment to me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@af1p - I'm not sure I understand. If your use case is that you prefer iCloud sync, you can do that in 1Password 7 for Mac by downloading it from us (not the Mac App Store), purchasing a standalone license (as indicated in the photo above) and setting your sync type to iCloud.

• af1p
    af1p
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

double post, sorry

• af1p
    af1p
    Community Member

Ahh, that might have been my misunderstanding. Not knowing that the standalone supported sync with iCloud. Will check it out. I read tomatoshadow’s response as advocating the 1Password.com subscription. My use case is to use iCloud sync, as I do this I wanted to avoid doubling up with the 1Password sync. From your response perhaps standalone is what i’m Looking for

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@af1p - sounds good. Let us know if you need any assistance. :) :+1:

• Steve_Riskind
    Steve_Riskind
    Community Member

Hi, I have 1Password 6 (version 6.8.9) running on my Mac and my MacBook Pro. Both running High Sierra. I have Version 7.2.7 on my iPhone running IOS 12.1.2. I sync my passwords using Dropbox. I got the license a few years ago. I want to put 1Password on an iPad. It seems like the only way I can get the app on the iPad is to purchase a subscription. Is this correct? If I upgrade to 1Password 7, the stand-alone version as described above, can I use the upgrade on both the laptop and desktop machines? Will it impact my iPhone running 7.2.7? And can I then add the IOS 1Password to my iPad? I feel as though the usage model has changed greatly in the last couple of years. Maybe I'm just burned out with Adobe Creative Cloud pricing, but my choice would be to pay for an upgrade. Is this doable any more? I've been very pleased with 1Password, though I feel like adding the iPad is becoming very complicated. Thanks, Steve

• Hi @Steve_Riskind

Adding the iPad is no big deal. You can download 1Password 7 for iOS here:

1Password 7 for iOS - iTunes App Store

On the welcome screen scroll down and select the option to sync with Dropbox. That's all that's needed to accomplish that. With that said, I would highly recommend considering a membership. Membership is the way of the future with 1Password:

About 1Password membership

That said, it is possible to continue to purchase standalone licenses. They don't include upgrades or the 1Password service, though, so we don't generally recommend them. You can purchase a 1Password 7 for Mac license within the 1Password 7 for Mac application once installed. Licenses are normally $65 USD + tax, but are currently available for a limited time for $50 USD + tax. That promotion may end at any time. Either way, we'd recommend staying up to date with all of your software... especially 1Password, your OS, and your web browser.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• wgaustin
    wgaustin
    Community Member

So, if one buys the stand alone license, call it version 7.0, when ver 7.1, 7.2 etc comes out can the single license owners update their version? Or is that reserved only for those with the subscription? Thanks

• In-version updates (e.x. v7.0 -> v7.1) are included. Major upgrades (e.x. v6 -> v7) are not.

Ben

• Steve_Riskind
    Steve_Riskind
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Thanks so much for your reply. Adding 1Password to my iPad was easy. I'm going to give serious thought to the 1Password membership as opposed to upgrading to Version 7. (I'm assuming that upgrading to Version 7 will be good for both my laptop and desktop.) If I understand the membership, the syncing between my various devices would be done using your servers -- so I would not need to use Dropbox. But if I can ask one more question: If I have the membership and an internet connection is unavailable, can I still access information stored in my 1Password vault? (I may return to China later this year. Dropbox is unavailable there. I don't know if your servers would be. But if I had the membership and wanted to look up a password on my iPhone, could I do that?)

Again, thanks for your help!

Steve

• @Steve_Riskind

Thanks so much for your reply.

My pleasure.

Adding 1Password to my iPad was easy.

Glad to hear it.

I'm going to give serious thought to the 1Password membership as opposed to upgrading to Version 7. (I'm assuming that upgrading to Version 7 will be good for both my laptop and desktop.)

Just to be clear: membership would include 1Password version 7 for all of your compatible devices. It includes upgrades. Licenses do not. But yes, a 1Password 7 for Mac license could be used on both your desktop and your laptop so long as they are both Macs and you are the only person using 1Password on them. A Windows license would likewise apply for multiple Windows computers.

If I understand the membership, the syncing between my various devices would be done using your servers -- so I would not need to use Dropbox.

Correct.

But if I can ask one more question: If I have the membership and an internet connection is unavailable, can I still access information stored in my 1Password vault? (I may return to China later this year. Dropbox is unavailable there. I don't know if your servers would be. But if I had the membership and wanted to look up a password on my iPhone, could I do that?)

Yes. 1Password data is cached on each device you sign into your account on, so you'd be able to view anything that was available on the device the last time it was able to connect.

Again, thanks for your help!

You're most welcome. Thanks for using 1Password. :)

Ben

• Steve_Riskind
    Steve_Riskind
    Community Member

Thanks! Most helpful.

• Anytime. :)

Ben

• wgaustin
    wgaustin
    Community Member

So, if one buys the stand alone license, call it version 7.0, when ver 7.1, 7.2 etc comes out can the single license owners update their version? Or is that reserved only for those with the subscription? Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@wgaustin - our licensing model follows the software industry standard of free in-version updates, with paid full-version upgrades. So, for all updates like 7.1 to 7.2, you'll get a free update. When version 8 comes out, that will (likely) be a paid upgrade.

• WebWiz
    WebWiz
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

Hi, I purchased both, 1Password 6 and 1Password iPhone. Qs.
    A). If I want to buy 1Password 7 as a stand-alone, will it sync with my iPhone password?
    B ) I don't see the standalone iPassword for mobile in the app store. I know you have the desk version $49 what about the mobile version?
    C) So new customers would have to subscribe in order to sync.
    D) The app store says $36/ year, what about the desktop? Is this price for all the devices?

• Hi @WebWiz

If I want to buy 1Password 7 as a stand-alone, will it sync with my iPhone password?

It can, using Dropbox or iCloud, but you do miss out on a number of features that are available only through membership:

About 1Password membership

I don't see the standalone iPassword for mobile in the app store. I know you have the desk version $49 what about the mobile version?

It isn't a separate app. The 1Password for iOS and 1Password for Android apps can be used either with a membership or as a companion app to a licensed version of one of the desktop apps. There is no additional charge either way.

So new customers would have to subscribe in order to sync.

Membership is the recommended path, especially so for new customers.

The app store says $36/ year, what about the desktop? Is this price for all the devices?

Membership includes access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices. You only need one subscription per person (or family, if you opt for 1Password Families), not one per device.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• WebWiz
    WebWiz
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

Thanks, Ben for the fast response. There are a few password managers out there and I tried them all. 1Passwrod are by far is #1 on my list. There has not been one day that I would not use it. A few more questions, if you don't mind.

1. I am syncing with neither Dropbox or iCloud. Only locally. I have been told it's more secure using local storage. It's actually controversial. Your thoughts...
    2. I recommended 1Password to a few of my friends. They were asking if they would purchase iPassword 7 from your website, they can not find one time buy out the iPhone version. Let me get it clear, from your answer there is no longer separate 1Password App for an iPhone?
    3. If version 7 is so great, why are there so many unhappy user's reviews in the app store? 1Password used to have almost 5 stars before the 7 was out.

Thanks again.

• I am syncing with neither Dropbox or iCloud. Only locally. I have been told it's more secure using local storage. It's actually controversial. Your thoughts...

1Password's security does not and has never relied on the sync service you choose. Regardless of how you sync your 1Password data it is encrypted using your Master Password and then synced (so the sync service only ever has encrypted data).

About the 1Password security model

I recommended 1Password to a few of my friends. They were asking if they would purchase iPassword 7 from your website, they can not find one time buy out the iPhone version. Let me get it clear, from your answer there is no longer separate 1Password App for an iPhone?

There is a separate app. There isn't a separate purchase. 1Password for iOS can be used with a membership, or it can be used as a companion app to 1Password for Mac / 1Password for Windows. It cannot be used in "standalone mode" on its own, without Mac or Windows.

If version 7 is so great, why are there so many unhappy user's reviews in the app store? 1Password used to have almost 5 stars before the 7 was out.

I really couldn't speak for the people writing reviews, but you said yourself 1Password is number 1 on your list after trying all the alternatives. If that's true I'm not sure it matters all that much what anyone else might think? :)

Ben

• WebWiz
    WebWiz
    Community Member

Great answers, Ben. I will keep using 1 password on a regular basis either stand-alone or subscription because 1PW is one of the applications that I can not be without. Have a great day!

• Glad to hear it. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.