I installed the new version and cannot figure out how to select a log in and password for a web site

Options

I checked your help area and found the keyboard shortcut to use but it does not work, particularly when I have multiple log ins for the same web site (each is a different account.)

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:how to fill in a log in and password on a web site when you have multiple log ins for the same site

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @ostaszjs,

For 1Password to interact with a browser it does require our extension. By itself 1Password cannot see what is happening in the browser and it relies on the extension to be the bridge, communicating details about the page and completing the orders from 1Password to actually fill fields. You supplied version numbers for both 1Password and macOS but I'm wondering if you omitted the extension because it isn't installed.

You can find our extension on our "Downloads - 1Password" page. There are two extensions listed, one titled 1Password X and the other I just refer to as the 1Password companion extension as it requires either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows to do anything at all. 1Password X requires a 1Password account but does provide an inline menu on the fields on the page. If you feel the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ is something you'll want to use though you'll want the companion extension.

In terms of sites with two or more matching Login items, if there is more than one good match the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ will always bring up 1Password mini so that you can choose which to use. 1Password will only ever fill a page without further prompting if there is only one best fit match.

If that doesn't help get things working properly please let us know and any details on what you're seeing as they may prove helpful in understanding what is and isn't working.

• ostaszjs
    ostaszjs
    Community Member
    Options

I do have the extension installed but was not able to find which version it was, which is why I left that field blank. If I use the shortcut, nothing happens. If I click on the extension, a window pops up with the most likely relevant log in but I have to copy and paste the log in and then the password to get it to work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ostaszjs: can you please let us know what browser this is happening with, so that we can give you instructions on how to see the version of the 1Password browser extension?

Thank you!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @ostaszjs,

So if extension button is present and responds by showing matches that tells us there is a good connection between 1Password and the extension. My hunch is 1Password is in read-only mode as that also means no filling. 1Password 7 is our first paid update since we released 1Password 4 for Mac and so isn't covered by any existing licence. If you moved from 1Password 4-6 to 1Password 7 then to enable all functionality you would need one of the following.

1. A 1Password account. Our subscription based service includes as part of the annual cost access to the latest version of 1Password on all supported platforms. So as well as hosting your data you can use 1Password on any device where we have a client available. Previously licences were per platform.
    2. A 1Password 7 licence. We do still support standalone vaults and licences and 1Password 7 for Mac and for Windows have this option.

If you know you have one or the other then we'll need to investigate further as to why filling isn't working for you but if you know you haven't created a 1Password account e.g. you don't possess a secret key and if you haven't purchased a 1Password 7 licence recently then I believe this will be why filling isn't working for you. We'll wait to hear back from you and see what the best next step is.

This discussion has been closed.