Allow editing data before saving to vault?

Options

Whenever I generate a password for a new site I'm registering on, I'm hesitating before saving the password in 1password.

In many cases, the saved info will either lack the username, ´or use the wrong field for the username (e.g. a telephone number). I know this can't always be guessed from each and every web form, but if I only had the chance to edit the fields before saving, that'd save a lot of time and effort.

So, right now it's like this:

• Open a form
  • FIll out the form
  • Press the button to use generated password
  • Allow 1password to save the entry in the vault
  • Press Save, wait for confirmation that it's saved
  • Press the browser notification to verify the data
  • View the popup window, and to correct wrong info, press Edit
  • Wait for the new tab to be opened
  • Update the info and save it

Instead, it could be as simple as:

• Open a form
  • Fill out the form
  • Press the button to use generated password
  • Allow 1password to save the entry in the vault
  • Preview the info pulled from the form, with editable fields
  • Press Save

This is so frustrating that I've even switched back to generating passwords manually, then later creating the entries in the vault manually, since I find it easier than editing the wrongly saved logins after creation.

Even when registering at https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/register for this forum, I got the option to:

• Generate a password
  • Save discussions.agilebits.com

I thought, hmm, “this is weird, well, I better save what I entered”, but when I pressed "Save", 1password only saved my username, and did not generate a password or save it. That's probably only tangential but it shows the kind of issues that arise.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 1.15.3
OS Version: macOS 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• slhck
    slhck
    Community Member
    Options

I see a similar thread here, but the OP's problem seems to be that the login is saved as a password only.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @slhck – welcome to the forum! I really appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. I've seen the same thing happen when registering for a brand new site if the username and password fields are spread across multiple pages. 1Password only has the ability to save what's on the current page which can cause some confusion in those situations. I'd be interested to see a situation where your phone number is saved as the username. That's something I'd want to get on our developers' radar so we can continue to improve the 1Password saving/filling experience.

Thank you for sharing an example as well – it's always nice to have a real-world site to test things out on. That said, I'm having a hard time seeing the issue with the 1Password forum registration. All of the fields are laid out in one sign in form on one page, so 1Password should take everything you've entered and save exactly that. I created a video of the steps I took so you can compare. My initial guess is that you chose to save the Login rather than to generate a password, but that will only save what's currently on the page. In this case, you wouldn't have typed a password yet, so 1Password doesn't have any way of saving it. I'm curious to learn how your steps differed, so let me know!

The request for the ability to edit (or add) a username directly in the save Login popup has been talked about before, so I've added your input to the existing issue we have created. :)

ref: x/b5x#708

• slhck
    slhck
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Kaitlyn for the answer!

I looked at your video, and it shows the issue I was referring to, but perhaps I didn't explain well enough. As a user, I'm presented with two options to either 1) generate a password or 2) save the login data. My thinking was, “Well, if there are two options, and I don't save the data now, I might not have a chance to do it later!” — at the time, I must have forgotten that when generating the password, you'll also get an option to save the data. In terms of usability, it's all just a little bit confusing.

Maybe it would have made more sense to me if the options were named differently:

• Fill and save generated password
    • Save entered data

I replaced the word “use” here, as IMO it's a little bit too ambiguous.

As for the other issue, the form that saved the telephone number instead of the email had this content:

<div class="form-horizontal" id="sb_sign_up_form">
       <div class="cap">
          Neue Kunden bitte hier registrieren
       </div>
       <div class="form-group name">
          <div class="col-sm-12">
             <input type="text" class="form-control" id="sb_sign_up_name" name="name" value="" placeholder="Name">
             <p class="help-block"></p>
          </div>
       </div>
       <div class="form-group email">
          <div class="col-sm-12">
             <input type="email" class="form-control" id="sb_sign_up_email" name="email" value="" placeholder="E-Mail">
          </div>
       </div>
       <div class="form-group phone">
          <div class="col-sm-12">
             <div class="input-group">
                <input type="tel" class="form-control " id="sb_sign_up_phone" name="phone" value="+43" placeholder="Telefon">
             </div>
          </div>
       </div>
       <div class="form-group password">
          <div class="col-sm-12">
             <input type="password" class="form-control" id="sb_sign_up_password" name="password" value="" placeholder="Passwort">
          </div>
       </div>
       <div id="sb_terms_and_conditions">
          <div>
             <div class="">
                <label>
                   <div class="custom-checkbox">
                      <input type="checkbox" name="user_terms_flag" id="sb_user_terms_flag" value="1">
                      <div class="custom-label"></div>
                   </div>
                   <a href="#terms-and-conditions" id="sb_user_terms_link">I agree with Terms &amp; Conditions<span class="required">*</span></a>
                </label>
             </div>
             <div class="">
                <label>
                      <input type="checkbox" name="cancellation_terms_flag" id="sb_cancellation_terms_flag" value="1">
                   </div>
                   <a href="#" id="sb_cancellation_terms_link"> I agree with the cancellation policy<span class="required">*</span></a>
                </label>
             </div>
             <div class="">
                <label role="button" tabindex="0">
                      <input type="checkbox" name="promotion_letters_flag" id="sb_promotion_letters_flag" value="1">
                   </div>
                   Ja zum EXKLUSIVEN Kreis (Goodies/Sonderaktionen/Specials)
                </label>
             </div>
          </div>
       </div>
       <div class="button-wrapper">
          <button type="button" class="btn custom" id="sb_sign_up_btn">Registrieren und weiter</button>
       </div>
    </div>

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@slhck – I see exactly what you mean now, and I agree that the wording for the options in the inline menu could be more intuitive. It's really nice to hear other perspectives. :)

I appreciate you including the HTML for me. Do you happen to remember the website URL as well, or is it an internal site? When a username isn't found, 1Password should ideally fallback to saving the email as the username. I'm not sure why that didn't go as planned here, but I'm happy to have our developers look into it.

• slhck
    slhck
    Community Member
    Options

Great, thanks for hearing my suggestion! In general, I have to say, I'm really really happy with 1password and your support. Please continue being awesome!

As for the phone number issue, I just tried again with the same form and I couldn't reproduce it. Maybe it was a weird timing issue between Chrome's auto-fill, the web app's Javascript, and me clicking the save button? I don't know. If I can ever reproduce an issue like this, I'll let Support know!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@slhck – Interesting! Thanks for attempting to reproduce the issue. I'm glad to hear 1Password saved the item correctly now, but please do let us know if you run into any similar websites. We'd be happy to take a look, and it helps us improve 1Password as well. :)

Your kind words were very sweet – I shared them with the rest of the company too. We absolutely love hearing when users are happy with 1Password. <3

This discussion has been closed.