To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How come I can't find my secret key on the app i have on my macbook air?

Options
kathyblue
kathyblue
Community Member

I have the app downloaded on my laptop and i am trying to login into my iphone's app and its asking for a secret key, which i don't have. I'm following the instructions that say go to preferences then tap accounts icon but i don't have that on my app. can someone please help me?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kathyblue
    kathyblue
    Community Member
    Options

Secret key help

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kathyblue! If you have a (subscription) 1Password account, you can find your Secret Key in the 1Password apps following our support guide here. In our Mac app, that's like this:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Choose 1Password > Preferences.
    3. Click the Accounts icon, then select your account.
    4. Click your Secret Key to copy it. Or click “Set up other devices” to see your Setup Code.

Since you mentioned not seeing your account in the Accounts tab of Preferences, it's possible you don't actually have a 1Password account! You might be using 1Password with a standalone (one-time purchase) license instead, which means that we're not syncing your vault for you. Instead, you have the option to sync your vault with iCloud, Dropbox, WLAN Sync, or not at all.

If that sounds like it describes your case—a one-time purchase license and syncing through a third-party service—try going to the Sync tab in the Preferences of 1Password on your Mac. There, you'll see how 1Password is being synced. It should look something like this...

Where it says "None" in the screenshot above you might see "iCloud", "Dropbox", or "WLAN Sync" instead. If you see one of those three, tap the corresponding option on the setup screen of 1Password on your iPhone! Then, follow the prompts to connect with your vault.

Let me know how you get on, and I'll be right here to help at any step along the way! And finally, if you're looking for an easier way to sync your data, you might want to check out a 1Password account.

This discussion has been closed.