Integration with 3rd party authenticators

Options

Hello

I am not sure if it is doable but is it possible to do an integration with 3rd party mobile authenticators?

For example, in my iPhone I have 1Password installed and also in my Windows 10 PC. Web sites and Windows apps are asking for token codes from Authy, Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, SQ Enix Token, Steam, etc. What I want to achieve is, when these web sites and Windows apps are asking for token from my mobile tokens, 1Password will check code from mobile device, possibly with Face ID or PIN code for initial approval, then it will copy code, transmit it to Windows 1Password app and that will fill fields in open web page or app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• While that integration isn't likely coming, @Naxterra, it's because 1Password can actually handle generating these codes itself:

https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/

When you use 1Password as your authenticator app, it does exactly as you describe – copies your OTP to your clipboard when you fill a Login. With 1Password X, it'll actually fill your OTP automatically when the site prompts for it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Naxterra - if you have your 1Password data synced via a 1password.com account or any other method, then removing all your 1Password data on a single device won't risk losing those TOTP codes, as you'll still have them elsewhere - either in your 1password.com account on the server, or on other devices.

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    Options

Just trying to help a fellow 1PW user out as I've slowly been migrating my OTPs to 1PW from Authy.

So you're going to Squnix's site, and putting the exact seed they're giving into the text box here, right?

If that seems to be misbehaving, what you can also do is (depending on platform), on Windows, copy the QR code image by right clicking and copying image, and then clicking the QR code button in the field, and saying "import from clipboard" (or similar, I'm away from my Windows devices)

If on Mac, clicking the QR code button in the field will open up a QR code scanner that you can drag over the QR code shown on the web page.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Naxterra You'll need to enter the TOTP Secret into the one-time password field in 1Password, not just your current one-time password. A site will give you that magic code, often in the form of a scannable QR code (called the 2FA setup code) or a long string of letters/numbers, when you first set up 2FA.

Try going to TwoFactorAuth.org, search up the site you're trying to set up 2FA codes with 1Password for, then click the blue book icon next to it. Follow the provided steps to start setting up 2FA for that site, then scan the 2FA setup code with the button in 1Password on the one-time passwords field you've added.

If you need any help along the way, please let me know, and I'll be right here for you! The answer from plttn also has some handy information on setting up 2FA codes in a 1Password item. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Naxterra:

It looks like Square Enix does not support TOTP 2FA, but instead they use their own authenticator method unfortunately. So they make you use their own app in order to activate 2FA for your account. You might want to reach out to them and request that they add support for TOTP 2FA, perhaps if they hear from enough people, they might consider adding the feature.

In the meantime, in order to see how 1Password works when it comes to 2FA, can you try doing this with an account that definitely supports TOTP, such as Dropbox, Google, Microsoft etc. instead?

This discussion has been closed.