"Use suggested password" - rules?

Hi,

when creating a new account on a website using 1P-X's "use suggested password" feature, 1P-X only creates passwords using normal characters, no symbols and numbers. It doesn't seem to be using the settings I set in the password generator.

Can this be changed?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.10.2
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cryptochrome: No. The Suggested Passwords feature uses a sane default to produce passwords that are compatible with most websites and secure. If you want/need to customize the password generated, you can go so in Password Generator using the 1Password X toolbar button. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Rdjotut
    Rdjotut
    Community Member

Is there a reason for this, and can this be implemented as an option?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Is there a reason for this,

@Rdjotut: Yes. As I mentioned above, this password composition works with the vast majority of websites and is secure. It makes it easy to quickly

and can this be implemented as an option?

That option already exists. We don't currently have plans to replace the Suggested Password feature with the full Password Generator. I'm not sure who it would help. Folks who want to fiddle with the sliders and other options can do so in the full-featured Password Generator. Those who just want a secure password quickly so they can get on with their task (likely account signup) can use the Suggested Password. But it's something we'll continue to evaluate.

• CyrilleBenard
    CyrilleBenard
    Community Member

Hi there,
    I must admit that I expected the "suggested password" followed the rules set in the password generator, and I really thought that the "suggested password" was bugged before reading your answer :chuffed:

Like the others users, I would appreciate that an option allows to retrieves (or not) the suggested password settings from the password generator settings. Thus, everyone would be satisfied, except the dev team :pirate:

Greetings

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Oh, I think the development team wouldn't mind using the same code for both. ;) But the flip side of the confusion you experienced with the way it is now would be, if we changed it, others would wonder why 1Password was taking credit for its "suggestions" when it was using the user's settings. Sort of joking, of course, but at the same time, as I'm sure you know, a password that is "compatible" with one website's rules is often not when it comes to others. The idea of the "suggested" password is that it's more likely to be suitable than not...and we've got plans to build on that as well. :)

• OranD
    OranD
    Community Member

I'd like to chime in here that I'd really, really like to be able to set the default rules for "Suggested password". You keep defending it by saying that the password it suggests is more likely to be suitable than not, but that is the exact opposite of my experience. I find that on the vast majority of sites I attempt to use the suggested password for, it contains symbols that the site doesn't accept. If you simply gave us the option of setting the rules for this function, it would be far more useful. It seems ridiculous to me that you provide the password generator, yet don't allow us to use the same rules as default for the suggested password function.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I can't make any promises but we do listen to feedback. The quick suggest can only be useful if more often than not its suggestion is permissible. At least there is still the Password Generator from the toolbar menu if the quick suggest isn't useable.

• SyrusSilverkin
    SyrusSilverkin
    Community Member

Just throwing another vote behind the ability to set default password behaviour. The default password flow is extremely slick (two clicks to create a new login) but because it is significantly weaker than the regular passwords I use everywhere else, I either never use it and have to go through a much more convoluted flow (open a new tab, copy paste at least 3 fields across, save, go back and fill in again) or go through and update the password later (using the site's own password reset / update flow). Having this be an option, even an advanced option somewhere, would be super nice ^_^

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this @SyrusSilverkin :)

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

And here's another vote in favour of giving control to the user on this one. I should be able to set up a default length/feature for my version of the 1PWx generator, and then have 1PWx use that configuration each time I wish to use the generator. I find the currently implementation of the generator is not user friendly and can result in a lot of frustration .

I posted this today: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/105518/process-to-generate-a-new-password-in-1password-x-is-just-awful

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, @amswitzer! As mentioned in this thread, we don't currently have plans to turn the suggested password feature into a full password generator since we already offer that within the 1Password X popup (click the + button, then Password Generator). Instead, the suggested password sticks to its guns with a random, secure password and you have the Password Generator as a fallback option. We hear you, though, and we'll take your use case into consideration when building future versions of 1Password X.

This discussion has been closed.