To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1password membership: if I am sick & unable to renew or die what happens to my data.

Options
kogunn
kogunn
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for many years & love it. Currently I have 1Password 6.89 on my Mac. I just read that when Safari 13 comes out, 1Password 6 will no longer work on Safari. I am debating about buying a license for 1Password 7 or getting a membership. Since I am elderly, one of my sons has my 1Password Master password so that if anything happens to me he can access all my data. My concern about the membership is a morbid one; please forgive me for that. I am concerned that if I get sick & am unable to renew my membership when it is due or if I die, what happens to my data? And how would my son be able to access my data? I would feel more secure about a membership if I could have a backup locally that my son could access if the need arises. And when I read about there being a 'cached' backup, this is going above my head. I would like something simpler that could be accessed. I appreciate any advise you would have for me.

1Password Version: 6.89
Extension Version: 4.7.4
OS Version: macOS Mojave version 10.14.5
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:if you have a 1password membership but are sick and unable to renew your membership or you die what happens to all your data

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @kogunn

No need to apologize. It is a reality of life. The short answer is that in the event your membership lapses your account would become frozen. All of your data would be retained, but new data would not be able to be added and existing data could not be modified. Additionally filling would stop working. It would still be possible to view everything though.

The slightly longer answer is that there are some things you can consider to help make this process easier for your son. There are two things I would recommend, that could either be done together or separately:

1. You could sign up for the 1Password Families membership level, and share some / all of your data with your son. This way he would have access to whatever you deem necessary, and you have some control in that you don't necessarily have to pass along everything. There may be some accounts where you'd rather they just be forgotten about. If you make your son an 'organizer' on this membership when the time comes he could either enter his billing info to continue the membership himself, or discontinue it.
    2. For whatever level of membership you sign up for you will have the ability to create and print an Emergency Kit. This would have all of the details on it necessary to access your account. Armed with this information your son could access your account as if he were you. You can read about the Emergency Kit here: Get to know your Emergency Kit

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• kogunn
    kogunn
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Ben, so much for responding so quickly!

In the 'short answer', how would my son be able to 'view everything'?
    Do you mean that he could still log in to my account to see all my data? He would not need to add anything new.
    And if so, how long would he be able to do that for?
    Or if I take a membership, is there an app that resides on my computer just like 1Password 6.89 that he would be able to access?

In the slightly longer answer:
    1. A good idea but I am not interested in paying the extra amount every year for a family membership since my son has no need to access my data except in the situation that I had described.
    2. I do intend to fill out an Emergency Kit and place it in my safety deposit box. However, if my account is frozen, then how would this Emergency Kit help? ... which goes back to questions from the 'short answer'. And my son does have my Master Password.

• kogunn
    kogunn
    Community Member
    Options

And what is the current price of a 1Password 7 license?

• Ben
    Options

@kogunn

Yes, so in simple terms as long as you are comfortable sharing your Master Password and Emergency Kit with your son he would be able to access your account and the credentials saved within it. We don't specify how long we keep frozen accounts around for, but I think it would be safe to say that it would be accessible for at least a year after the account went frozen. And again frozen just means no additions, changes, or filling — you can still see all of the details.

Ben

• kogunn
    kogunn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. That is very helpful to know.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• kogunn
    kogunn
    Community Member
    Options

With a membership, do you have to go online to access your data if you just want to look up some information, e.g., in a secure note. Or is there an app that you access this on your computer? And if there is such an app, in the event we discussed where my account is frozen, would my son go online to access my data or would he go to an app on my computer?

Also is there any benefit for me to go the license route for the scenario that I initially described rather than the membership route?

Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

With a membership, do you have to go online to access your data if you just want to look up some information, e.g., in a secure note. Or is there an app that you access this on your computer?

Membership uses the same apps as standalone licensing does. One of the benefits of membership is that you get access to the latest versions of our apps for all of your compatible devices. So the experience of using 1Password would be very similar to what you're already familiar with. You do not need to use the website to view your data, and you can access your data even in the event that you (or we!) are offline if using one of the 1Password apps.

And if there is such an app, in the event we discussed where my account is frozen, would my son go online to access my data or would he go to an app on my computer?

He could do either. It may be more convenient for him to access your account through the 1Password.com website, but if he prefers he could physically go to your computer and open the 1Password app there.

Also is there any benefit for me to go the license route for the scenario that I initially described rather than the membership route?

Membership includes everything that licensing does plus a fair bit more. :)

Ben

• kogunn
    kogunn
    Community Member
    Options

That does make a big difference. I had the incorrect impression that you had to go online to access your data and that is not always convenient.

Thanks so much for all your help!

• Ben
    Options

That does make a big difference. I had the incorrect impression that you had to go online to access your data and that is not always convenient.

Yep; that is what the cache you alluded to in your opening post is all about. It means that 1Password keeps a copy of your data on your device, so that even without internet you can bring it up.

Thanks so much for all your help!

My pleasure. Happy to help. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.