Hi Team, Is there a way you can hide "Reveal" button and keep "Copy" button in your vault.

PaVelinho
PaVelinho
Community Member
edited July 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi team,

Trying to prevent Passwords from being revealed (and seen as a clear text) in 1Password application.
In the vault settings I'm unable to mark option "Copy and Share Items" on it's own as it selects automatically "View and Copy passwords" and "View Item history".

Kind regards,
Paul

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how to hide reveal button and leave copy

Comments

• PaVelinho
    PaVelinho
    Community Member

That's the screenshot I had in mind. Is it possible to just Copy the password but NOT reveal it?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @PaVelinho,

Can I ask what your motivation here is? The reason for asking is the copy feature uses the operating system's clipboard which means it can be pasted anywhere, including any text editor. If there is a valid scenario we should be considering we can definitely file an issue but I just want to make sure we're not creating any false sense of security.

• Jacob_99
    Jacob_99
    Community Member

Sorry to pitch in, we have similar problem. Here I come up with motivational reason, could you please review and share your inputs : Our motivation for seeking this option is to prevent visibility on front end GUI webpage(Reveal or conceal), narrowing options for outside group members to hack. In this context, our intention is to have a group of users copying these credentials to access another mainframe or web hosting for BAU support. Overall objective is to hide free password text & copy that directly to another location. With above mentioned feature, its not allowing us to choose copy & share item only.

• PaVelinho
    PaVelinho
    Community Member

Hello @littlebobbytables and thanks for your valid comments @Jacob_99. Also the purpose of this feature is the increased security as password won't be seen in a clear text on the page. My enterprise would truly appreciate such a solution. I also think that 1Pass has a web plugin which can be directly linked to the ID value stored in the vault which is truly amazing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Whether or not it can be seen on the page (it will usually be masked, after all), that doesn't stop the user from grabbing it from there and pasting it somewhere else using the browser's built in developer tools -- or right from the clipboard, if it's being copied there. We don't want to offer the security theater of making you believe that 1Password can prevent that from happening, when it cannot. Once information is outside 1Password, 1Password does not control what is done with it.

This discussion has been closed.