How do I remove the ad about upgrading to 1Password 7 from the top of the menu on my Mac?

How do I remove the ad at the top of the menu? I'm not interested in 1Password7 and will switch to another solution if necessary - and in order to avoid a subscription service.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:remove the ad about upgrading

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

Welcome to the forum, @armelino! I'm sorry for the trouble. It's not an ad; it's a notification that an upgrade is available. We're releasing it now because in upcoming macOS and Safari releases, older versions of 1Password (anything before version 7) will stop working, due to changes in the extension format. We'd rather you have to see this and potentially make the change now, than be without your most important data on the day you upgrade to Catalina this fall. If you're on an older version of macOS and don't have plans to upgrade to Catalina, then not upgrading from 1Password 6 for Mac won't affect you immediately.

Either way, a full restart of both Safari and 1Password 6 for Mac should remove this banner, as should a simple restart of your Mac. Let us know if you have any questions or problems.

• armelino
    armelino
    Community Member

Thank you Lars. In my elimination of subscription accounts I'll need to simply use another product if/when I switch to Catalina. Thanks again for the information. If 1Password switches back to a one-time purchase I'll return.

• @armelino

1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

Licenses can be purchased within the 1Password 7 for Mac app if you opt to go that route. They are regularly $65 USD + tax but as of writing are on sale for $50 USD + tax for a limited time.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• armelino
    armelino
    Community Member

That would work, but I can’t circumvent the order of operations here. Confusing. Can’t log in without an account. Can’t get an account without logging in. Can’t get a membership from the current Mac app (6.8.8).

From the login page online we get the following: “You only have a 1Password account if you have a 1Password membership, which requires a subscription. If you purchased a standalone license, you don't have a 1Password account.”

I’ll spend $50 to buy a license but I lack the secret knowledge to do so.

• armelino
    armelino
    Community Member

Somehow I made it through all that and created an account which allowed me to download and install Password 7. It's now on my Mac, after I'd assumed that I needed it to purchase a license from within the 1Password 7 app on the Mac. However, I don't see that as an option. Can you guide me there? Thanks

• @armelino,

My apologies but I'm not following. If you do not have an account added to 1Password for Mac when you launch the 1Password 7 application you'll get a welcome screen. At the bottom of that screen you'll see an option to purchase a license. If you are signed into an account you won't see this option, as accounts include everything licenses do, so offering that option would be redundant.

Does that make sense?

Ben

• armelino
    armelino
    Community Member

I have the account; I created a free 30-day version for now. However, there is no welcome screen. I enter my credentials and I go right to the vault that was transferred. There was never a screen as you describe.

Further, there is no option to purchase a license from the "Account" drop-down in the application. Only a reference there to a monthly fee.

Having reviewed the other posts here from users who've experienced similar frustrations and also not having discovered how to do this, I can only conclude that this, respectully, is by design. I won't use similar language here but I also won't recommend this product to my clients going forward. I've enjoyed the product for some years now and it's made things much easier for me. However, I concur with the others who've simply given up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have the account; I created a free 30-day version for now. However, there is no welcome screen. I enter my credentials and I go right to the vault that was transferred. There was never a screen as you describe.

@armelino: You signed into a 1Password account from the welcome screen. There isn't another welcome screen after you've already setup the app, but you can reset it from the Troubleshooting menu if you want to start over and set it up a different way. 1Password isn't going to try to sell you a license if you tell it to use a membership account, as all the apps are included in that.

This discussion has been closed.