Problem opening 1Password in second account on same iMac

Hello!

I have a standalone licence since 2016. I use 1P on my iMac and on my iPhone and iPad without any problem.

On my iMac I have two accounts, my main account and a second account that I use now and again for a specific purpose. 1P is installed in my main account.

I have tried several times in the past without success to install 1P in my secondary account. I have decided today to try and solve the problem once and for all.

I open my secondary account and use Safari to open the 1P website.

• I'm told first that my account is frozen.
  • Then I try and fill in a connexion window which asks for a secret key, which I do not have because I have a standalone account.
  • Then it says that I do not need a secret key because I have a standalone account which I can open directly .

That is where I get stuck. I do not know how to proceed. Thank you for explaining how to launch the app.

The standalone licence suits me fine for my limited needs. I have no desire to pay an annual subscription.

Best wishes,

Mac Mara

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.4
OS Version: OS Mac 10.14.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Problem opening 1Password on alternative browser

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

Hello @AnCatMara,

It will help with the support if the first thing we do is remove the ambiguity surrounding the word account. As you know macOS allows for multiple users and I will refer to those as macOS user accounts. 1Password supports both a licence with standalone vaults or our 1Password accounts, our subscription based service where we host your encrypted data and the subscription includes access to the latest version of 1Password on all supported platforms. I'll always refer to that as the 1Password account.

When 1Password talks about a frozen account it is referring to the 1Password account. This must mean that at some point you created one and after the trial had finished with no payment details on record it lapsed into a frozen state. As you're not seeing this at all on your primary macOS user account it is safe to infer you have everything set up there to work with a licence and standalone vault.

As each macOS user account is separate from any others though, when you applied your licence to this copy of 1Password it was only registered in that macOS user account.

Here is what I would recommend.

1. In the primary macOS user account launch 1Password and look in the Software Licences category, you should find an entry for 1Password with a licence file attached.
    2. Hover the mouse over the attachment and then click the carot ⌄ that should visible just to the right of a button titled quick look. In the small menu that appears click the option show in finder.
    3. Copy the licence file somewhere that both macOS user accounts can access, either a shared folder, Dropbox, USB drive or even email it to yourself if you have email set up in both accounts.
    4. Switch to the secondary macOS user account and launch 1Password.
    5. If 1Password presents a normal unlock screen use the menu option Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data to return 1Password in this macOS user account back to a never been launched state.
    6. The splash screen should allow you to set up either a new standalone vault or select existing data.
    7. After setting up 1Password double click the licence file so 1Password understands it is licensed.

If you're having trouble with any of those steps then a screenshot might help us understand what you're up against. Now as this support forum is public if you do decide to take a screenshot please make sure nothing personal or sensitive is visible as anybody can visit the forum. If you're unsure how to create a screenshot I've always found the site How to take a screenshot is a good resource and macOS does make it easy :smile: If you have any concerns about adding a screenshot though please do stop and let us know, much better to be cautious than for any regret later through accidental revealing of something you otherwise didn't want to.

• AnCatMara
    AnCatMara
    Community Member

Hi!

thank you for your very quick reply!

I confirm that I have everything set up in my primary OS account to work with a licence and standalone vault.

In my secondary mac OS user account I launched 1P.
    I copied the licence from my primary OS account and opened that in the secondary OS account and saw the message "You have a licence".
    Despite that my 1P account still has no data and still says that it is frozen.

When I click on Help/Troublshooting I have three options:

• launch the Troubleshooting helper
    • See the log
    • Copy (or perhaps send) the log

But no reference to resetting 1P data...

I launched the Troubleshooter helper but did not see any reference there to resetting data either.

Would it help if I could delete the 1P web account?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AnCatMara,

Before, when I said

menu option Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data

when you have 1Password application's main window active you should have a Help menu available with a submenu titled Troubleshooting and it should look something like this.

Does that help locate the option at all?

• AnCatMara
    AnCatMara
    Community Member

In both my OS mac accounts, the Help menu item Reset is greyed out...

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2019

Sorry about that @AnCatMara. In 1Password 6 it was a requirement that 1Password be locked in order to select that menu option. If it is unlocked it'll be greyed out. If you lock 1Password are you able to use it?

We've removed that requirement in 1Password 7.

Ben

• AnCatMara
    AnCatMara
    Community Member

No problem!
    When 1P is locked the Reset option is not greyed out.

Before going any further, I would like to get confirmation on two points:

1. I use the Reset option in the secondary OS Mac account, not in my primary OS account?
    2. Am I in any danger of losing all my data?

Thanks for the rapid replies!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @AnCatMara,

That was a nice catch by Ben, I'd forgotten we'd changed the requirements around when it was enabled.

1. You would only want to use this in the secondary macOS user account, the one where you're getting dialogs about the frozen account. Everything seems good in the primary macOS user account so we definitely don't want you doing anything there :smile:
    2. This will only reset 1Password in the secondary macOS user account so I don't foresee any danger of data loss and we won't be touching the 1Password in the primary macOS user account where things are working properly.
  • AnCatMara
    AnCatMara
    Community Member

Thank you!

1P is now up and running in my secondary OS Mac account.

It is of course empty. I imagine you have a tutorial explaining how to import my data from my primary account?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AnCatMara,

This is where you would need synchronisation. As a standalone user your options are:

1. Dropbox.
    2. iCloud.

If you were only to copy your data changes made to one wouldn't be visible in the other after the initial copy which would lessen the usefulness of 1Password.

I know you weren't keen on the subscription approach but this is one area where we've tried to reduce the pain of using a password manager. We know from experience that lots of people find sync stuff a pain so the 1Password account automates a lot of this, something we can do when we have a dedicated server designed to communicate in the sort of encrypted data 1Password uses. The idea is you sign into the account in each new copy of 1Password and that's it, all your stuff is just there. If you wish to remain with 1Password 6 and the standalone vault though one of those two options will help ensure the two copies of 1Password always have the same data.

In the last paragraph, when a refer to a new copy of 1Password it isn't that you have multiple copies of the 1Password application on this Mac, the macOS user accounts are sharing the actual application bundle but they're separate instances isolated from each other, basically two distinct copies in terms of the user data.

• AnCatMara
    AnCatMara
    Community Member

Thank you! My problem is now solved. I know that you are obliged to do your sales pitch, but for my limited needs the stand-alone licence is quite sufficient and synchronisation is not a problem. Thank you and your colleague once more!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AnCatMara, on behalf of everyone, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.