1Password mini Does Not Work as Easily in Version 7.3 as Version 6

riegelstamm
riegelstamm
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Mac

I just upgrade to the 1Password 7.3 standalone version on macOS 10.14.5 and am disappointed that the browser extensions for Chrome, Safari, and Vivaldi are not as easy to use as they were in version 6. Here's why:

1. In version 6 when I opened a website and clicked on the extension, I could autofill the login info with one click, just by clicking on the website icon. Now I must either double click on it or click on the Autofill button and then click on the "sign in" button on the page itself. That's 3 clicks instead of 1. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and try to avoid all the extra clicking.
  2. The "open and fill" option for a website in version 6 took one click, now it takes two, one for "open and fill" and one for the "sign in button" on the website
  3. The generate new password feature has much less functionality in version 7 than 6:
    a. It used to autofill the new password blocks on the page. Now it doesn't. I have to paste them into both blocks (4 extra clicks)
    b. It used to have the option to include non-ambiguous characters; now it doesn't.
    c. It used to have options to specify the number of symbol or number characters; now it doesn't

Honestly, version 7 seems like a downgrade in some ways.

Why did you change these features, and is there any way you can put them back?

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 7.3
OS Version: macOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @riegelstamm

I'm sorry to hear you feel this is a downgrade.

In version 6 when I opened a website and clicked on the extension, I could autofill the login info with one click, just by clicking on the website icon. Now I must either double click on it or click on the Autofill button and then click on the "sign in" button on the page itself. That's 3 clicks instead of 1. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and try to avoid all the extra clicking.

Have you considered using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut to fill? And then pressing the return/enter key to submit the form?

The "open and fill" option for a website in version 6 took one click, now it takes two, one for "open and fill" and one for the "sign in button" on the website

If I recall correctly that this is also true with v6 on Mojave... Mojave removed the ability to simulate keystrokes via AppleScript, which is how we were doing autosubmit.

The generate new password feature has much less functionality in version 7 than 6:
    a. It used to autofill the new password blocks on the page. Now it doesn't. I have to paste them into both blocks (4 extra clicks) b. It used to have the option to include non-ambiguous characters; now it doesn't. c. It used to have options to specify the number of symbol or number characters; now it doesn't

We're evaluating if we can bring filling from the password generator back. As for removing the ability to specify an exact number of symbols or numbers: you're correct, that was intentionally removed. Instead, you can specify if you'd like numbers and or characters to be included. Could you please let us know under what circumstances you need to be able to define the exact amount of each? Not following an exact input allows for more randomness in generated passwords.

Thanks for the feedback on this. I look forward to your reply.

Ben

• riegelstamm
    riegelstamm
    Community Member

@Ben, thanks for your answer. I was not aware of the ⌘\ shortcut, so that might help. Hitting Enter to submit doesn't work on all websites. I can assure you that autosubmit still worked for me in Mojave on most websites, at least while using Vivaldi, but if you say Apple removed that capability, then there's nothing to be done about it. As for specifying the number of characters, it doesn't matter with numbers, but some websites allow some symbols to be used but not others. For those, I prefer to use just 1 symbol so I don't have to check every password for forbidden characters and keep generating a password until I get one that doesn't have any forbidden characters. Having generated passwords autofill was really nice.

• Thanks @riegelstamm. One of the other changes that we made recently was to modify the symbols that the password generator will include so that generated passwords are accepted on the first or second attempt more broadly.

We'll keep looking for ways in which to move the offering forward. :+1:

Ben

• riegelstamm
    riegelstamm
    Community Member

Here's another downgrade: I could swear there used to be an option to report a website that had problems logging in using 1Password. For example, the log in form is not filled, or 1Password does not even find the site, like it never finds any of the Apple.com sites for me.

By the way, thanks for restoring the autofill of generated passwords.

• For example, the log in form is not filled, or 1Password does not even find the site, like it never finds any of the Apple.com sites for me.

This is likely to be an issue with your login items. If you look at your login item for Apple does it have a website field on it that has a URL containing apple.com in it? For example here is mine:

Ben

• riegelstamm
    riegelstamm
    Community Member

Yes, I had URLs with apple.com in all of them, specifically https://appleid.apple.com/signin, which was probably an old URL since it now redirects to https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin. (Please see my suggestion about saving URLs.) In any case, I edited one of my login entries (I have one for each family member), and now all of them show up in Suggestions. Weird.

In any case, that doesn't answer my main question, which was what happened to the option to report problematic websites from the browser extension? Now it seems we must report them here in the Support Forum.

• In any case, that doesn't answer my main question, which was what happened to the option to report problematic websites from the browser extension? Now it seems we must report them here in the Support Forum.

I have to admit the details about this are a bit hazy as it has been a while and I never had any direct involvement with it. I suspect one of the primary reasons for dropping it and relying instead on more traditional methods is that this way we can communicate back to customers about fixes, whereas I believe that system gave customers a way to report issues, but no way to follow up or get answers from us.

Ben

• riegelstamm
    riegelstamm
    Community Member

OK, thanks, @Ben, that makes sense. It was convenient to report websites from the extension, but you're right, there was no feedback. You all are pretty good about responding on this forum, in my experience.

• Thanks for saying so, and for understanding. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.