Chrome extension searches across ALL items

Options

Before I upgraded to the latest version of 1Password, my Chrome extension worked great in that I primarily used it to quickly login to sites. All I had to do was type in a few characters, it would find the site and I would press enter. Now, the extension searches across all of my items - EVEN IF I SELECT "LOGINS" in the drop-down. In fact, it doesn't appear to matter what I select in the drop-down - all items are searched.

Anyway, this is now more of a pain to use than before. As this is an extension in my browser, when I use it, I'm primarily concerned with going to a site. If I need more, I tend to use the actual app. So, can you PLEASE FIX THIS???? And, as an add-on when this is fixed, I would like to be able to select "LOGINS" as the default and have it remember that so I don't have to select it with each new search. Perhaps a setting for this or have it remember.

BTW, I thought I had upgraded to some new "X" version. What version should be on my Mac? Right now I have "1Password 7 Version 7.3.1 (70301008) 1Password Store"

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.1 (70301008) 1Password Sto
Extension Version: 1.15.6
OS Version: macOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1Password account
Referrer: forum-search:chrome extension

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @bamoroso! Thanks for reaching out about this.

Now, the extension searches across all of my items - EVEN IF I SELECT "LOGINS" in the drop-down.

As far as 1Password X goes, the search feature has searched All Items rather than only Logins for as long as I can remember. However, if you know what you're searching for, you should be able to type in the name and Logins will appear first (as long as the name matches). For example, if I type in my bank name, first my bank's Login will appear, and below that is my Credit Card item. Typing the bank name and pressing enter will still open my Login and sign me into my account. Here's one example of that:

If you're noticing something different, would you mind giving me an example? There's no need to be too specific since this is a public forum, but that should help me try and reproduce exactly what you're seeing.

I would like to be able to select "LOGINS" as the default and have it remember that so I don't have to select it with each new search. Perhaps a setting for this or have it remember.

We did recently include the option to open the 1Password X popup to Suggestions, Favorites, or All Items. As of right now, it's only available in the 1Password X beta, but we should see it come to the stable build soon. I know that doesn't fulfill your request for the popup to open to Logins, but perhaps you could favorite your most used Logins, then choose for the popup to default to Favorites. Some people use the extension as a bookmarking system as well as a password manager, so it'd work well in that situation.

BTW, I thought I had upgraded to some new "X" version. What version should be on my Mac? Right now I have "1Password 7 Version 7.3.1 (70301008) 1Password Store"

1Password X is the extension that you mentioned in your original post (version 1.15.6). That's our newest extension that has the ability to run without the need for a 1Password desktop app. We also offer a desktop-dependent 1Password extension that requires you to have the desktop app installed. It's up to you which extension you'd prefer to use. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about either. Just let me know!

• bamoroso
    bamoroso
    Community Member
    Options

OK, so what I have been used to is an extension that was relying on the installed app, I guess? Basically, up until a few months ago - when I decided to upgrade to the subscription model, the extension I used worked great and would work pretty much the way you described. I could type-in a few characters, the login I was looking for would appear and all I had to do was hit enter. Not now!

Examples:

I enter "TD" for my TD Ameritrade login and I get a a listing of 40 items - "passwords", notes, logins, etc., and my TD login as nearly at the bottom. The same thing happens when I select "Logins", as well. (To me, making a selection in the drop-down appears to have no effect on my searching).

I enter "NCS" to pull-up my NC State Employees account login and I get 14 listings, with my login at the bottom!

So, for me, using the new 1Password X extension is a pain. Can I go back to the older one even though I now have a subscription? And, what is the benefit of having the actual Mac app installed? Sounds like I don't need it anymore (unless I use the extension from it?)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019
    Options

@bamoroso: I think a lot of people (myself included) would be bummed and/or a bit lost without the desktop app, but if you use 1Password exclusively in your browser and/or just prefer 1Password X, that's great too. :)

While search is incredibly useful, it is going to be less so if you're only giving it two or three characters which are common across many of your items, as in your first example. I suspect that you felt search was better in the desktop app because it simply had more options which allowed you to narrow it to some extent, whereas without search options (yet) 1Password X searches everything. Otherwise people would be "missing" data, which would be worse.

To your second example, I'd say that it looks like cleaning up a ton of (probably unused) Password items you've made for "NCS" (and perhaps other sites) over the years would help a lot. But you can also set items as Favorites to find them more easily.

But, perhaps more importantly, there's something you haven't even tried which only works with 1Password X, which I think would help a lot: When you're on a login page, if you click in the username field, even if you have a ton of Logins for the site (for example, if you're like me and hoard Google Accounts and Apple IDs), typing right there in the username field will narrow the list so you can quickly find the right one. If you're searching through all of your vaults with just a few characters, you probably will get a lot of results -- like typing a single word into Google will not be super effective (unless you were looking for the definition -- bingo!)

Anyway, over time we'll be adding some more options to 1Password X, but in the mean time, even though it doesn't work exactly like a full desktop app -- because it isn't -- you can take advantage of its strengths too. :)

• bamoroso
    bamoroso
    Community Member
    Options

it is going to be less so if you're only giving it two or three characters which are common across many of your items...

So, my main point is that, whatever version of the extension I had earlier worked better with the same examples I displayed previously. Typing "ncs" would come-up with my correct login and all I had to do was hit enter. I'm not typing-in anything different than before.

I'd say that it looks like cleaning up a ton of (probably unused) Password items you've made for "NCS" (and perhaps other sites) over the years would help a lot...

Yeah, I've always wondered about those password entries - how they got there and could / should I remove them. I will play around with removing them.

but if you use 1Password exclusively in your browser and/or just prefer 1Password X, that's great too...

Yeah, honestly I rarely use the desktop app and I never find myself needing to. I'm probably missing something but, for me, using the chrome extension is all I need.

But, to make things clear, my main issue is that the extension has changed for the worse, in my experience. I used to be able to just type-in a few chars and hit enter and that's no longer the case.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bamoroso – Thanks for getting back to us and for sharing your perspective. I'd be curious if you're willing to install the 1Password X beta and see if that causes search to behave a little better for you. I know we made some improvements to the search feature, but it looks like it's only been released to the beta for now. That's the one I'm using, which may be the reason search is working well when typing in just a few characters for me.

I will admit that I went through and cleaned up a bunch of unnecessary Password items fairly recently, and it made a huge difference. All of my 1Password apps are much less cluttered now, so I'd suggest playing around with it if you find some extra time.

I'm in the same boat – 1Password X takes care of what I need since I use 1Password in the browser 99% of the time anyways. The desktop app does come in handy from time to time, though. I can't tell if you were using the desktop-dependent 1Password extension or just a previous version of 1Password X, to be completely honest. If you're interested in giving the beta a try like I mentioned above, please let me know if that improves the behavior for you!

• SunDevil2213
    SunDevil2213
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

I have a couple examples (along the same lines of the OP) that have irked me enough to search out this particular forum post. The search option in the 1PasswordX extension seems to be broken.

Example 1:

I want to go to my Citi Credit Cards login. I type "citi" in the search box, and the first result I get is Best Buy Credit Card (which happens to be serviced by Citi). I'm assuming it's populating that result from the web address for the login - which begs the question - why is the search tool looking first at the web address over the actual title of the login? Why are two credit card accounts coming up before the last two login items? Of note, Citi store credit cards (Best Buy and Home Depot) are two completely different websites outside of the normal Citi consumer credit card login site.

Example 2:

This is semi-related to the problem with the first example - I'm searching "wealth" and the first result is "Health & Wealth Raffle" when the second result is Wealthfront (the one I actually want). If I wanted the first result, I'd expect it to be first by typing "health". Why is search looking toward the end of the title before the start of the title?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SunDevil2213 – I see what you're saying. In the 1Password X beta, we made some tweaks to the search feature. I think you'll see and improvement to the first example you mentioned since we prioritize both Logins and exact title matches. For the second one, I'm not sure how that would behave since "wealth" matches both Login titles. If you typed one more letter, then Wealthfront would be the only one to appear – in both the stable and beta versions of 1Password X. Are you interested in giving the beta a try and seeing if you have any feedback for us in regards to search?

• SunDevil2213
    SunDevil2213
    Community Member
    Options

@kaitlyn thanks for the update and yes, I'd be willing to beta test!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SunDevil2213 – Awesome! Here's the link to install the 1Password X beta in Chrome (or a Chromium-based browser). I'm especially curious about your second example, so let me know how it goes. :)

• SunDevil2213
    SunDevil2213
    Community Member
    Options

The beta corrected both of my gripes! Except, does the beta require the desktop app? Getting this message in settings:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SunDevil2213: While 1Password X does not require the desktop app to function, the desktop app is needed to use "Desktop app integration", if you've got that enabled in 1Password X settings. And currently that feature is only available in the beta of 1Password for Mac.

This discussion has been closed.