Chrome "popout" window is way too small

1. Running 1passwordx on Chrome under Debian Linux. When I click on the 1passwordx button in my toolbar, 1passwordx opens up into a small window that takes up about 1/4 of my screen. I can't resize it, and it makes it extremely hard to use. How can I get it to take up more of my screen?
  2. Is there a command key to pop you out of 1passwordx and into the full 1password.com interface? that would be handy.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @andrewgreenberg – thanks for the feedback! It's not currently possible to resize the 1Password X popup; is there something in particular that you're having a hard time seeing?

As far as the keyboard shortcut goes, I think that's a great idea! We've recently brought some keyboard shortcuts to 1Password X, and I've been loving it so far. Right now, they're only supported by the new popup in the 1Password X beta. As an example, pressing command-E will open up a new tab to edit the item you're currently viewing in 1Password X. You're welcome to test it out in the beta if you'd like. :)

• CallumW
    CallumW
    Community Member

I agree that the popout is way too small. Especially on a 1440p screen where it takes up about 10% of the available screen space. It causes logins to truncate and lots of unnecessary scrolling. Let us resize the window.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@CallumW: Could you please clarify with a screenshot of this? To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• CallumW
    CallumW
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

@brenty It's hard to show the truncation without including sensitive information, so I have attached a screenshot of an empty vault in context of the screen size. There is no way to make it any bigger.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@CallumW: That's perfectly clear! Thank you! I guess I'm not sure how making it bigger would be beneficial. Would it maybe be more helpful to just have it accessible anywhere on screen? I'm not sure that's possible with 1Password X for a number of reasons, up to including security concerns with websites spoofing the window (which is why we require you to unlock from the toolbar menu, as that's outside the webpage). It looks like you're using Windows, so you could use the 1Password desktop app/extension instead:

https://support.1password.com/1password-mini-windows/

That operates outside the browser, so it can be brought up right a the mouse cursor using Ctrl Alt \. Especially with 1Password mini there in the windows app, I can guess that you might still want it bigger. We want it to do more, which will probably result in it being bigger down the road, but I don't see us doing bigness for bigness sake. If there is specific functionality that you're looking for in your browser, let us know.

We want to keep it relatively compact since that works on the wide range of screen sizes we need to support (e.g. 11" Chromebooks are common, and ChromeOS is the primary reason we created 1Password X in the first place). Resizing in the browser is tricky and expensive, so I think we're more likely to tweak the set size of 1Password X as we add features and integrate on the overall design.

Right now, in beta, the Mac app can talk to 1Password X -- something that wasn't possible until very recently. We plan on bringing that to windows too. And perhaps down the road, when we've got a desktop app available to help with UI, 1Password X could potentially break out of the browser, in a sense, which could give us flexibility to do different things with positioning, etc., the way 1Password mini works now. Time will tell. :)

• CallumW
    CallumW
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you for the suggestion of the desktop app, I was unaware of it. Having just tried it, I am very happy with the deskop experience, however the downside I see is that the chrome extension that connects with the desktop app has a worse UI and UX than 1Password X. X seems to be the nicest to use, despite its fixed size.

The main benefit I see to having a larger size is the ability to see full login names on the left hand side, and more information on the right hand side without so much scrolling. It also just feels cramped when populated. Imagine using a browser window that small! Anyway, thanks for your help and I look forward to the future of 1Password (just switched from LastPass for various reasons).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@CallumW: I'm really glad that you like 1Password X that much! The "bad" news, for your preference, is that this is what we have for the time being, so it may be a tough choice. The good news being that 1Password mini in the desktop app will be getting a redesign in the future, and 1Password X will also become able to talk to the Windows desktop app. So you will have some more options down the road.

You make a good point about spacing for item titles. It's a tough balancing act (as far as making effective use of space), but we'll see if we can improve that a bit. I find it's equally difficult just to choose titles sometimes, to avoid having them be too long, but also not so short as to be nondescript. On the plus side, either flavour of 1Password will show you Logins matching the current URL by default when opened; when you use 1Password X's inline menu, it gives you a similarly selective list; and when you use the desktop app's keyboard shortcut (Ctrl \) to fill, you won't even have to choose when there's only a single Login for the site.

I hope this helps a bit in the mean time, and we'll definitely keep this feedback in mind as we continue to develop 1Password across the board. :)

• KayJay
    KayJay
    Community Member

I would like to add to this as I have a similar issue where the popout window doesn't "resize" to the content properly. Please see my attached screenshot where you can see scroll bars on the right-side and bottom of the window.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

Hi @KayJay – thanks for the report! I've been able to reproduce it when using the "pin to screen" feature on a high resolution monitor (although only on Windows), and I've got it reported to our developers. In the meantime, you should be able to resize the window (only after first clicking the pin to screen button). Here's the button I'm referring to just in case anyone else stumbles across this thread:

ref: x/b5x#1284

• KayJay
    KayJay
    Community Member

Thanks @kaitlyn ... I have been manually resizing the window each time. Hopefully, it's something they can fix in a future release.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your feedback on this! We'll see what we can do to improve it. :)

This discussion has been closed.