Secure notes not allowing textarea box (multiple lines of text)

when i try to create a new section or field within 1P7's secure note, i cannot add a carriage return (new paragraph). multiple lines of text copied are truncated at the first line.

but my original note i can have multiple paragraphs. But i'd like to have several sections of smaller notes vs 1 very long note.

I consider this a bug to not have ability to have multiple text area field inside of a secure NOTE.

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: win8.1 x64
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @4EverMaAT,

Thank you for getting in touch!

At the moment, we do not support rich formatting options in the editor of 1Password 7 for Windows, but you can separate the paragraphs in your Secure note like that:

Moreover, we have plans to improve the editor in 1Password 7 for Windows and bring Markdown support there. I don't have any timeframes right now, but please stay tuned for more news and updates.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Is there something in particular motivating you to want these notes in separated text boxes, @4EverMaAT? Given the current absence of rich formatting on Windows, I definitely see a reason to use a separate section here – this would allow you to split your note into sections in a tidier manner than using unformatted headers in the main notes field, but once we do introduce markdown formatting, I'd be inclined to use headers within the main note rather than a brand new section and a new text box. At present, we don't have any plans to add a custom field type that would allow paragraphs, but that I'm not thinking of a use for it doesn't mean there isn't one. If you can share your use-case, I'd be happy to pass it along to the team and who knows? Might be you change our minds. :wink:

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback as well. We all use 1Password differently, so knowing what is and isn't working for you is invaluable. We really appreciate it. :chuffed:

• @4EverMaAT: Thanks for sharing! Any chance searchable notes would serve equally well? The content of Secure Notes isn't searchable yet, but it's another addition we're considering. Regardless, I'll be sure to pass your feedback along. :+1:

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@4EverMaAT: Thank you for clarification! It is indeed something that we will need to consider in the future. The thing is that we are building 1Password 7 for Windows from scratch and we still have a lot of things to catch up with.

Your feedback is much appreaciated, as it helps us get better. If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know. Thanks again! :chuffed:

Cheers,
    GReg

• superthrowaway5000
    superthrowaway5000
    Community Member

+1 for this feature. I'm thinking of moving from Codebook by Zetetic, and this keeps me from moving over. Any ETA on this feature?

• Thanks for sharing, @superthrowaway5000. In general, we don't share any ETA for future features. Our plans don't always end up aligning with reality and there's just no good way to ensure our estimates are at all accurate other than waiting until the feature is just shy of shipped. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but I'll be sure to pass along your support. :chuffed:

• MicahZoltu
    MicahZoltu
    Community Member

I want to store SSH keys in a secure note, but I want them in a password field (hidden by default, rather than visible by default). When I paste an SSH key into a password field in a secure note all of the newlines are removed.

An SSH key consists of several things including public key, private key, fingerprint, password, etc. I want to be able to have a field for each of these things and the ability to click to view or click to copy any one of them individually. Putting them all into a single notes block or field would greatly reduce the usability of 1password for storing SSH keys.

It is worth noting that elsewhere on this forum it was suggested that people use Secure Notes to store SSH Keys. It is frustrating that the workaround suggested doesn't actually address the problem (SSH key storage in 1Password) well.

• You can have each of these things available for copying/revealing individually in a Secure Note, as well as concealed by default, @MicahZoltu. It sounds like you may be pasting all of these things (pub key, private key, fingerprint, etc.) into a single password field. That will, indeed, only allow a single line and whatever you put in there will be revealed/copied as a single item. If you'd like these separate, paste each individual bit of data you'd like to copy/reveal independently into its own password field. You can create as many of these as you'd like in a single Secure Note and can even give them custom labels so you know exactly what's where. This both allows you to copy each part of your SSH key individually and should avoid the need for any new lines. You can learn more about adding custom fields generally here:

https://support.1password.com/custom-fields/

I hope this helps, but let me know if there's any particular bit of data this doesn't work for in your case. :+1:

• MicahZoltu
    MicahZoltu
    Community Member

@bundtkate Unfortunately, SSH private keys are multiline. If I add a custom password field to a Secure Note and paste a private key into it, the UI removes all of the newlines in the file which makes the private key invalid. The only field I can find that supports multiline is the "note" field, and there is only one of those, it is not as easy to copy out of, and it doesn't hide by default like a password custom field does.

• I'm sorry, @MicahZoltu. In my SSH experience, I've not had a private key where multiple lines was required, but that experience is admittedly quite limited. We do have an issue I wasn't aware of where, rather than compressing multi-line data replacing the new lines with spaces, 1Password for Windows will only accept the first line of what's on your clipboard, so that likely complicates things further. You can add the key file as a related item or attachment for now if you're not comfortable using the notes field. And, of course, I'll be sure to pass your feedback along the to team. :+1:

ref: internal/b5book#988

This discussion has been closed.