Always an error when upgrading

Every time 1Password for Windows tells me there's a new version, when I try to install it I get the error shown in the attached JPEG.

What can I do to avoid this?

Thank you.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Dan, welcome to the forum!

That message means 1Password is running, but the installer is supposed to make sure 1Password isn't running.

If you view the Windows Task Manager, do you see two instances of 1Password.exe? If so, terminate both of them, and try to running the installer again.

If that doesn't work, restart Windows, and try running the installer again.

Please let us know how it goes!
  • It did not go well. Every time I answer Yes to updating, I have the same problem. And then it ruins my existing installation, so I have to re-install all over again.

Obviously, the installer isn't making sure that 1Password isn't running. Is that because I have my browser open? If so, then the installer should prompt to close the browser, or take whatever other action is necessary for a proper and successful install. It shouldn't be possible to "break" my existing installation when all I did was follow the prompts for updating.

Thank you.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome back, Dan!

I don't know what version of 1Password you're trying to install. I haven't had any such problem accepting upgrades, and—believe me—I accept 'em all! :D The installer always warns me if I forget to close out anything that shouldn't be running.

To get a fresh start, please download the latest installer from our web site; then quit 1Password and all web browsers, and close all Windows Explorer windows, too; then run the downloaded installer.

Once you get that done, please accept the next offered update, and let us know if you see the problem again.
This discussion has been closed.