Automatic fill in doesn't work since 1Password7 update

Hello,
I updated to 1Password7 and now the safari add-on doesn't do the automatic fill-in anymore.
I have already deleted and reinstalled 1Password7, but there is no change.
Do you have an idea what went wrong?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @liss_sk1,

As you used the word updated I take it you were using 1Password 6 or older before which likely means at some point in the past you either purchased a licence direct from us or purchased 1Password in the App Store (I'm assuming macOS at the moment). If that's the case then it is likely 1Password 7 is in read-only mode until either a 1Password 7 licence is attached or you connect a 1Password account. 1Password 7 is our first paid update since 1Password 4 was released so it is catching some people out. Previously 1Password was licence only but now we have two options.

1. 1Password account. This is our subscription based service where we host your encrypted data. The service is designed to remove the pain of syncing and backups/redundancy. The subscription includes access to the latest version of 1Password on all supported platforms.
    2. A new 1Password 7 licence. As before we only promise minor updates to the version the licence is for. In the past we were generous, making 1Password 5 and 6 free updates to any existing 1Password 4 licence but there is no guarantee that will happen again, 1Password 8 could be a paid update as well - I genuinely have no insight to offer as to what is being planned or what the future holds in this regard. As before a licence does not expire, it does entitle you to continue running that version of 1Password for as long as you want, assuming changes to the operating system or browsers do not break compatibility.

Now if you know you have a 1Password account or you've definitely purchased a 1Password 7 licence then none of that would explain the issue you're having. We'll wait to hear back from you first though and then we can discuss what the next best step is.

• liss_sk1
    liss_sk1
    Community Member

Ah ok, thanks for your answer. Yes, it will be the case that I have a license for the old version. So does that mean if I switch back to the old version, if that's even possible, I will be able to use it normally again?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @liss_sk1,

It would be possible and at least for a while Safari would work again. It is worth understanding that in the not too distant future, changes to Safari will mean 1Password 6 or older won't be able to interact with Safari the way they used to. Apple are moving Safari to only supporting the newer Safari App Extension approach to extensions and we first added support in 1Password 7.2 for Mac. Everything before that uses the older Safari Extension Gallery and I fully expect that in the fall Safari 13 will launch alongside macOS Catalina and that it will not allow any old extensions from the Safari Extension Gallery. Safari 13 will likely be made available to Mojave and quite possibly High Sierra and once updated there is no easy way to return. Anybody updating to Safari 13 will find the older 1Password extension present in the Safari Extension Gallery will no longer be installable.

That doesn't meant 1Password 6 users are completely out of luck, 1Password 6 will continue to works with the likes of Firefox, Chrome, Vivaldi and Opera but I do expect Safari 13 will be the end for 1Password 6 support.

If you still wish to return to 1Password 6 I can help, the migration performed by 1Password 7 only copied data over and so 1Password 6 will pick up from where it left off and as 1Password 7 is likely in read-only mode it means we know we don't have to worry about changes made to the data there that you would need to copy back. If you have any questions that might help in your decision please do ask and I'll do my best to help with whatever you decide.

• liss_sk1
    liss_sk1
    Community Member

What does the read - only mode mean? Because I can create new passwords and logins. However, nothing important changed, which is why I would like to switch back. In the long term I might change to chrome then. How can I switch back to 1password 6?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @liss_sk1,

If 1Password 7 does not have either a 1Password 7 licence or an active 1Password account connected to it then any modification of the vault should not be possible i.e additions, deletions or modifications. Now filling doesn't modify an item but it is another feature locked when in read-only mode.

The reason I asked about that is recently we did notify existing 1Password 6 users of 1Password 7 and we have seen a spike in confusion when users have assumed their existing licence would work. All of those cases though would mean 1Password 7 is in read-only mode but lack of filling is often the symptom they first experience. You seemed quite confident that you hadn't purchased a new licence recently or moved to a 1Password account but if you're able to modify your items from within 1Password 7 then there is something we've not pinned down yet. It's a smidge overkill but it might not be bad to review a diagnostic report just to ascertain what is happening. If you're happy to do so then this link will guide you through the steps and has sections for the various supported versions of 1Password.

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@1password.com.

Once you've sent the report you should received an automated response from us with a ticket ID. If you can post that ticket ID here it will help us locate your diagnostic report and we'll see what it reveals.

• jhamika
    jhamika
    Community Member

So I am in read only like it says in the app. So I will not be able to modify anything right? This means adding and changing passwords? and It will not autofill unless I pay for a subscription correct? I was using 1password 6 and I paid for it earlier probably in 4 or 5. AND YOU did mention that all of 1password's functionality does work for google chrome? You can confirm that too?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jhamika:

If you want to use 1Password 7, which is a paid upgrade, you need either a license for version 7, or an active 1Password Membership, which is paid with a subscription. If you don't have either of the two, your app will be in read only mode (with every browser, including Chrome - what littlebobbytables was referring to is that 1Password version 6 currently still works with Chrome, but will stop working with Safari in a future update).

If you do not want to upgrade instead, you can download and install the old version 6 and continue using that for as long as you wish though.

This discussion has been closed.