1Password 7 says Read only?

hhcamera
hhcamera
Community Member

I recently purchased a new iMac and migrated over all my data form the old to the new. I noticed that there was a new version out for 1Password 7, I downloaded it and installed with no problems... or so I thought. after verifying that all the passwords and login info matched I deleted the old version. I went in to add a new credit card and it says it's read only. How do I fix this? The original was a standalone version purchased in 2013 from the app store, (Not a Subscription) and I would like to keep it that way I don't want or need anymore subscriptions.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.14.4
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hhcamera! Welcome to the forum!

I noticed that there was a new version out for 1Password 7

1Password 7 is a paid update. In order to unlock full functionality, you need to either purchase a license upgrade, or activate a subscription.

The original was a standalone version purchased in 2013 from the app store, (Not a Subscription) and I would like to keep it that way I don't want or need anymore subscriptions.

In this case, you can download the old version from the Mac App Store once again, from your Purchases section :)

• hhcamera
    hhcamera
    Community Member

I several threads it say there is a there is a paid version of 7 and that's good. I am willing to pay for the upgrade but don't see the benefit of a subscription for one person on one platform.
    I downgraded to version 6.8.8 for the time being and hopefully will be able to upgrade in the near future.

• hhcamera
    hhcamera
    Community Member

I was unable to fine a standalone version on the website it kept reverting me to a subscription.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hhcamera If you download 1Password 7 directly from our website you will be asked if you want to purchase a license (the Mac App Store version only supports 1Password Memberships). This tutorial also shows you all the steps to switch from the Mac App Store version to the website version, in case you need it.

This is what you should see after launching 1Password 7 downloaded from the website:

• helloari
    helloari
    Community Member

i am also happy to pay to upgrade - but don't want a monthly fee.
    But I can't find how to buy an upgrade license - you really make it hard! why is it not on your https://1password.com/teams/pricing/ page?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @helloari!

Have you tried the instructions in my previous post? Here they are again for your convenience:

If you download 1Password 7 directly from our website you will be asked if you want to purchase a license (the Mac App Store version only supports 1Password Memberships).

You will not find the pricing information on our pricing page because we decided not to market standalone licenses. They are still available for those who want them, but we decided to let the website focus on our Membership offering, which we believe is the better option for most users.

• helloari
    helloari
    Community Member

1P 7 was asking me if i want to subscribe - i saw what is in your screenshot. i think i clicked on 'need a license' and it said to check the website or something (in a hover text)
    however now that i launch 1p 7 that info is no longer appearing - how can i get it to come up again?
    very confusing! really makes me want to jsut stay on 6 but i also want to support ongoing development.

BTW do you have a list of improvements in 7 over v6?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@helloari:

however now that i launch 1p 7 that info is no longer appearing - how can i get it to come up again?

Can you confirm that you downloaded 1Password 7 from our website, and not from the Mac App Store?

BTW do you have a list of improvements in 7 over v6?

Yes! Here is the changelog for version 7.0, but if you scroll up on the page you will also see all the improvements that we added in the following updates since version 7 came out ;)

• Hudson
    Hudson
    Community Member

I have the same issue as hhcamera. When I go to Apps on my Mac it doesn't have a listing for previous purchases. I have the receipt for the license I paid for the 2016 upgrade but I do not want a subscription and need to go back to a version that isn't read only. Any guidance would be appreciated. I've used 1Password since 2011 and would like to continue but I need access to add new information. Thank you.

• Hi @Hudson

Could you please forward us the receipt in question so we can get a better idea of what the situation is? support+forum@1password.com
    Please reply here with the support ID that you get back from our automated assistant BitBot.

Thanks.

Ben

• Hudson
    Hudson
    Community Member

Thank you for your prompt reply, Ben. I forward the receipt just now but got back a message saying it was blocked. Here is the exact response:The response was:
    550 5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from aol.com is not accepted due to domain's DMARC policy. Please contact the administrator of aol.com domain if this was a legitimate mail. Please visit https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about the DMARC initiative. y3sor15609462uay.15 - gsmtp

• @Hudson

Hmm. That's pretty odd. We've definitely gotten other emails from AOL mail customers as recently as half an hour ago. Are you using the AOL webmail website to send the message?

Ben

• Hudson
    Hudson
    Community Member

Ben, I've tried forwarding again and sending a screenshot of the receipt and not forward. Same result - blocked. Sorry. Don't know the answer to this.

• @Hudson,

I'm a bit stumped as well. We're definitely receiving other emails from other customers, including other AOL customers. Do you have a different email address that you could try to send the screenshot from? Alternatively you could try pasting the details into our contact form:

https://support.1password.com/contact/

Ben

• Hudson
    Hudson
    Community Member

I have the same issue as hhcamera. When I go to Apps on my Mac it doesn't have a listing for previous purchases. I have the receipt for the license I paid for the 2016 upgrade but I do not want a subscription and need to go back to a version that isn't read only. Any guidance would be appreciated. I've used 1Password since 2011 and would like to continue but I need access to add new information. Thank you.

• Hudson
    Hudson
    Community Member

I did send from another email with no problem and have received a reference number from the support team. I guess this is why AOL hasn't been my go to for a while. I just never got around to changing it from my 1Password info. Thanks for all your help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Hudson,

If the receipt you have came directly from us then deleting 1Password 7 and downloading and installing 1Password 6 should be all you need to do. Deleting 1Password 7 only requires the following steps.

1. If 1Password is currently running hold down the alt/option key and click on the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar at the top of the screen. Select the menu option Quit 1Password Completely.
    2. Drag the 1Password 7 application bundle from /Applications/ to the Trash.

After you reinstall 1Password 6 it should pick up where it left off and you're done :smile:

If the receipt came from Apple then you would need to view your app store purchase history. Ignore any entry for 1Password 7 if present and look further down the list for one simply titled 1Password. As we removed 1Password 6 from sale it means you can't search and find it in the app store but it will be in a user's purchase history if they purchased the Mac App Store version.

Does that help at all?

• Hudson
    Hudson
    Community Member

• Hudson
    Hudson
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables Yes, that totally helps! My receipt did come from your company. I will follow the steps you've given. Thanks so much.

• Hudson
    Hudson
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables Done without a hitch! Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of lil bobby, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• ariari
    ariari
    Community Member

i am also happy to pay to upgrade - but don't want a monthly fee.
    But I can't find how to buy an upgrade license - you really make it hard! why is it not on your https://1password.com/teams/pricing/ page?
    ok, so i figured out that i needed to fully unintall 1password 7 since i had installed via app store. i followed this instruction
    https://support.1password.com/switch-from-mac-app-store/

and now i was able to acutally buy a single license.

next question: how can i buy a family license?

• Hi @ariari

We don't have family licenses for 1Password 7. The recommended path forward for families that would like to share 1Password is 1Password Families. Otherwise each family member would need their own license(s).

Ben

• douglasfenton
    douglasfenton
    Community Member

I am a long time 1password user and fan until now - Not real happy about the hide and seek for the standalone license for password 7, don't understand the need to hide the option. I started out with the app store version, now I have downloaded the website version. I want my vault to be local - don't want an on-line account. I am places with no wifi/network often. I downloaded 1password 7 when Safari lost its extension. I would like to confirm a few things:

1) When I use safari now , select 1 password - I get a pop-up with username/password in the pop-up for the given site. I can hit pin. Now I can copy /paste username / password into the site without having to go back to 1password focus. Is this the only thing offered now ? No longer any autofill for safari ? If so it's not really an extension ?
    2) The 2 factor within 1password requires a on-line vault ?
    3) If I buy 1password 7 today - how long will you support it ? (the issue is not the need for additional features with on-going development, but support when related software changes - for example Safari changing to make the extensions not work). I would be happy with 1password 6 today if safari extensions on the mac still worked.

Originally I bought 1passwords for all the platforms, pro mode.... Not sure how i feel about the $50 re-purchase with no upgrade discount. Everyone can't get a monthly fee forever - especially for software you already paid for in a different way. Yes developers needs paid for continuing work - question what's really fair.

• Hi @douglasfenton

I'd be happy to help with those questions.

Not real happy about the hide and seek for the standalone license for password 7, don't understand the need to hide the option.

We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

I want my vault to be local - don't want an on-line account. I am places with no wifi/network often.

When using 1Password for Mac with a membership a local copy of your data is kept on your Mac. You'll always have access, even when offline.

When I use safari now , select 1 password - I get a pop-up with username/password in the pop-up for the given site. I can hit pin. Now I can copy /paste username / password into the site without having to go back to 1password focus. Is this the only thing offered now ? No longer any autofill for safari ? If so it's not really an extension ?

The 1Password 7 for Mac extension can fill in Safari, as you're used to. Please make sure 1Password appears in Safari under Preferences > Extensions and is checked (enabled). If it does not appear, you may need to follow these instructions:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/524296/#Comment_524296

The 2 factor within 1password requires a on-line vault ?

2FA requires a membership, yes.

If I buy 1password 7 today - how long will you support it ? (the issue is not the need for additional features with on-going development, but support when related software changes - for example Safari changing to make the extensions not work). I would be happy with 1password 6 today if safari extensions on the mac still worked.

With licenses there is no pre-determined support period. You're licensing the ability to use a specific version of the software and upgrades are not guaranteed. The safest assumption would be that the version available today is what you're getting for the long haul. With membership on the other hand all upgrades are included.

If history is any indicator, without doing a lot of math, we generally release a new major version every 18 to 30 months. 1Password 7 has been out for 16 months. We have at times included upgrades for license purchasers. For example, the 1Password 4 for Mac license was actually valid for all versions of 1Password for Mac up through v6. That is the exception, rather than the rule, though.

Yes developers needs paid for continuing work - question what's really fair.

It is a fair question, for sure. I tend to encourage people to think in terms of value. I certainly see myself getting much more than $3 / mo value from 1Password ($3 / mo is the cost for an individual membership). But that is for each individual to judge based on their circumstances and what they're getting from 1Password.

We do also run promotions from time to time and I'd encourage anyone who has a purchase history with 1Password looking to upgrade to a membership to reach out to our team at support@1password.com to see what we can offer.

Ben

• douglasfenton
    douglasfenton
    Community Member

Ben,
    Thanks for your replay. The replies on this form from 1password is impressive - real support.
    I did get the plug-in for safari working - took some hacking around(first not filling, then flashing windows) - In the end I checked beta updates - It downloaded, installed the update , then offered to download it again. The version did not change from 7.3.2 - I assume the update install failed but it did whatever magic it needed to go to get the plug in working. I did not get an error - I was just stuck in it offering to upgrade until i unchecked the beta flag loop. I happy now - sometimes you have to just accept happy.
    Using 1password 7 for a few days now - It is a major re-arrange from 1password 6 - looks a lot different - dark mode is cool (i think it is more of a welcome change) but it is not materially different then 1password 6.
    In fairness - I just discovered the safari plugin not working - I have had surgeries, not used my laptop for a while - I am not sure when things happened. An aside - I went though watchtower - enabled 2FA for every account that supports it (using iPhone authenticator apps), it was a good Sunday project . I have been using iOS for most everything - Its a lot of work to get a lap top back up-to-date.
    So my 2 cents (worth every penny) - 1password 7 provides the same function as 1password 6 - the only material difference for me is getting the plug in to work again. I can see $3/month if starting new - mostly because the on-line storage/account needed - but I pay apple for iCloud. I already paid over or around $100 for the apps (I don't really remember exactly but I have the pro version on all platforms PC,Mac, iPhone/iPad) - I can see a $20 - $30 upgrade fee every few years with new features. I use to work for a company that used lastpass - I did not like it as well - Mostly because they require on-line, hashes, keys , etc . They also had a security breach. Having your password vault local (or on a separate service ) is an extra layer just like 2FA is an extra layer. Back when I was more active - I went though the 1password vault , found things not encrypted.
    Maybe you did the on-line thing so you can go after companies, families - I can understand that - But have you considered offering an no on-line account licensing package with an upgrade path ? You can call it the "isolated geek with no friends plan"?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@douglasfenton: Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that things are going better for you now. :) We do still have licenses to use the "standalone" 1Password app as an option...but honestly while it isn't something most people get excited about with 1Password membership (getting all the apps and updates, and not having to deal with license management or sync configuration are crowd-pleasers), I think that having automatic offsite backup for some of our most important data, which we store encrypted in 1Password, so that we can get it back just by signing into our accounts, even if all our devices were lost, stolen, or destroyed, is worth three bucks a month. I get that some people feel like "Well, I only use 1Password on my iPhone. I don't need access to the other apps." But having a way to recover like that is even more critical for someone using 1Password alone, I think, since they can't have family or team members help them recover. Just something to consider. Thanks for sharing your thoughts as well. :)

• divalasvegas
    divalasvegas
    Community Member

How does one track down their standalone license for 1Password 7? I thought I purchased one.

• divalasvegas
    divalasvegas
    Community Member

I downloaded 1Password 7 in the App Store on my Mac. How would I go about getting a standalone license? I thought I had done that but I am only seeing the "read only" options for each entry.

• Hi @divalasvegas

Please try to avoid contacting us through multiple channels for a request. Doing so tends to cause a duplication of efforts, which slows down the support process for everyone. We'll be in touch in response to your email as soon as we can. Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.