I have set up 2FA on 1pass using the Google Authenticator on my iphone. My Phone was taken.

Options
phoneboybob
phoneboybob
Community Member

I set up 2fa using the Google Authenticator app on my iPhone. My phone was taken so now I don't have access to my 2FA codes
I can use the app on my computer and a new phone, but can not access my account via the web page. I have tried tosing in using my Emergency Kit But I am still asked for the 2FA code, which I can supply. How can I regain access to my account?

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.14.5
Sync Type: subscription with 1 password
Referrer: forum-search:restore with Emengecy kit but no 2AF code

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @phoneboybob! Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about what happened to your phone. I will reach out to you via email shortly so we can help you over there without sharing personal information on a public forum.

• phoneboybob
    phoneboybob
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, I have just replied to you via email

• chriswayg
    chriswayg
    Community Member
    Options

This is an issue that I considered when recently setting up a 1Password account with 2FA. What if the device with the Authenticator app is damaged, lost or stolen? I suppose you could depend on iCloud backup and restore your hopefully recent iCloud iPhone backup onto a replacement device. (I have not tried this, and I'm reluctant to rely on backups that I cannot easily verify or test.)

I really do not like Google Authenticator for various reasons, especially because it does not allow you to manually backup the codes or to automatically sync between multiple devices. I tried Authy instead, because its cloud-based backups allow access from other devices. Currently I use the OTP Auth app on iOS, because it syncs my codes via iCloud to iPhone and iPad and allows manual backups to the desktop.

I suppose I could also write down the TOTP key on the Emergency Kit and use that to restore authentication with another device.

What is the best practices recommendation by 1Password when using an authenticator app to access 1Password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chriswayg: You should save all your account credentials in case you ever need them. By default, that's just the Master Password, Secret Key, and email/sign in address (though those last two you probably will just know). But, similar to if you add a security system to your house you will need the code for that, if you also setup your 1Password account to require two-factor authentication when signing into a new device/browser you should make sure you have a contingency plan for that as well. There are a lot of different authenticator apps out there, some with backup/restore capabilities; failing that you can save the QR code and/or text TOTP secret you used to setup two-factor authentication in a secure location, just as you should your Emergency Kit. Exactly how you establish your emergency plan is entirely up to you. Just make sure you have a way to recover everything you will need to get back into your account if all your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phoneboybob: Thanks! We'll continue the conversation via email. :)

ref: EEJ-54455-862

This discussion has been closed.