1Password Account (subscription) and Dropbox Sync at the same time without mix the info.

Options
ghostdog
ghostdog
Community Member
  • Right now using 1password 6 with my data on dropbox
  • I have a 1Password Account trial subscription

I can have both at the same time without mix the data on the 1Password Account?

Yes, I know the app let me transfer the data from dropbox to the 1pass account in one shot! BUT I prefer adding manually, I don't trust in "one shot database moves" things could be 100% accurate, also I don't want move logins with tons of past old passwords. I prefer move one by one by hand.

You know, my goal is have everything CLEAN online on the 1Password Account. A fresh new beginning...

This will takes me time, but I think worth it!

At the end I just simply remove the dropbox data and only keep the 1password account.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ghostdog: While we don't recommend it because of the confusion it can cause, you can use local vaults alongside 1Password accounts (and sync the local vaults, if you wish). Local vaults will always be separate from the 1Password account, so there's no "risk" of accidentally syncing one with, say, Dropbox instead of the 1Password server. That possibility simply doesn't exist.

If your goal is to eventually use only the 1Password account, that sounds good. It will just be a bit of a transition. I like your "new beginning" idea. Maybe someday I'll clean my stuff up. If you have any questions at all, just let me know. :)

• ghostdog
    ghostdog
    Community Member
    Options

thank you @brenty this is what I want hear:
    "Local vaults will always be separate from the 1Password account, so there's no "risk" of accidentally syncing one with"

so I'm going to use both at the same time, and when I want "move" an item from the dropbox to 1pass account, I just copy first the info in a .txt file, delete the dropbox item, sign in on the site with the data on the .txt file, 1pass ask me if I want save the login and I finally saves in the 1pass account.

sounds like a long process but I do it too fast, no problem, of that way I pass all the info totally clean to the new 1pass account.

also I approach the opportunity to review my long list of data and delete old stuff that I don't want or need anymore, for that reason I don't want the 1 step move from dropbox to 1pass in one shot, I feel dirty! doing that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ghostdog: Yeah, when you explain it it sounds like a good plan. :) We just normally recommend against "mixing" vault types because it can cause a lot of confusion. But since it's a deliberate choice which is part of your (admirable) clean-up strategy, you should be just fine. :)

Which, now that I think about it, makes sense that you might wish for the old top view during this process. I'm not sure it's something we should design around, since it's not what most people are doing with 1Password, but I get where you're coming from.

At the risk of proposing something a bit silly, have you considered actually just using 1Password 6 temporarily while you sort out your vaults? It still had the old top view, so if that might help you for a short time while you're making this transition it could be worthwhile, and perhaps make it go faster. Just don't get more attached to it, as I really don't see it making a comeback, and sticking with an old version of 1Password -- or any software -- is not going to be a good long-term option.

• ghostdog
    ghostdog
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

yes, that's the point with the "old view", in my experience with 1password over the years, I work faster and I find things quickly with the "old view", less distracting etc.

so yes, maybe is a good idea, make this "clean" move with the 6 and after done, well switch to the 7.

maybe the "old view" come back some day ;)

thanks again, great support by you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that helps a bit! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.