Command line installation of 1Password for Windows

Options
520STB
520STB
Community Member
edited July 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello 1password team,

I am trying to manage my sofware update on WIndows 7 with Chocolatey but the 1password package is failing with this error:

2019-06-05 09:46:07,556 3820 [DEBUG] - Elevating permissions and running ["D:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\chocolatey\1password\7.3.684\1PasswordSetup-7.3.684.exe" /VERYSILENT /NORESTART /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /SP- /LOG="D:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\chocolatey\1password.7.3.684.InnoInstall.log" ]. This may take a while, depending on the statements.
2019-06-05 09:46:07,610 3820 [ERROR] - error: Found argument '/VERYSILENT' which wasn't expected, or isn't valid in this context
2019-06-05 09:46:07,613 3820 [ERROR] - Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException
2019-06-05 09:46:07,617 3820 [ERROR] - USAGE:
2019-06-05 09:46:07,618 3820 [ERROR] - 1PasswordSetup-7.3.684.exe [OPTIONS]
2019-06-05 09:46:07,620 3820 [ERROR] - Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException

Just to let you know, I am not even sure that you are the owner of this package.

Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @520STB,

Thank you for reaching out!

As far as I know, we do not maintain that package and the issue you pointed out is being discussed in the comments on their website. Moreover, it is being tracked here.

We are looking at ways to improve 1Password and its installer, so it might affect the package managers like Chocolatey. 1Password 7 for Windows is under active development at the moment, so this situation will be improved in the future.

I hope it helps. If you have other questions, we are always here for you. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• crkinard
    crkinard
    Community Member
    Options

This is an issue with the installer itself. Trying to silent install with the /VERYSILENT flag causes the same error even when run by hand in a command window.

7.2.617 installs fine with the /VERYSILENT flag.
    7.3.684 does not.

Please fix the install package.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@crkinard: We do not support other people's software, so we don't have control over the behaviour of the package manager you're trying to use. Previous versions of 1Password used a different installer. We've built a new one, and it does not have the same command line flags as what we were using previously. It's possible we'll add more options in the future, but this is working as designed.

• crkinard
    crkinard
    Community Member
    Options

sigh

I will make a new post.

• crkinard
    crkinard
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

When trying to silent install 1Password silently it throws the following error.

error: Found argument '/VERYSILENT' which wasn't expected, or isn't valid in this context

USAGE:
        1PasswordSetup-7.3.684.exe [OPTIONS]

For more information try --help

This is the command that was run.

1PasswordSetup-7.3.684.exe /VERYSILENT /NORESTART /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /SP-

This command works fine with the 7.2.617 installer.

EDIT 1: On further testing using ANY command like argument (even /? to show what the arguments are) causes the installer to throw an error.

Actually it seems that all command line arguments have been removed. When running with -h this is all that is displayed.

starter 7.3.684
    1Password remembers them all for you.
    Save your passwords and log in to sites with a single click.
    It's that simple.

USAGE:
        1PasswordSetup-7.3.684.exe [OPTIONS]

FLAGS:
        -h, --help       Prints help information
        -V, --version    Prints version information

OPTIONS:
        -i, --install_path <INSTALL_PATH>    Optional: Custom install location
        -l, --log_path <LOG_PATH>            Optional: Custom log file location

These options need to be brought back to allow silent scripted installs of the software.

EDIT 2: I hate beta testing software for people but I tried the 7.3.702 beta. It has a --silent argument (found by running the installer with -h). But it is far from silent. It spews a mess of log text to the console then launches 1Password. sigh

1Password Version: 7.3.684
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows 10
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@crkinard: That's correct. The new installer doesn't support many command line arguments. If there are specific ones you would like to request, let us know the use case and details and we'll evaluate your request along with feedback from everyone else.Either way, we'll continue to improve the new installer over time.

This discussion has been closed.