Keep getting disable/enable WLAN server when trying to sync iPhone

Options
tginther
tginther
Community Member
edited July 2019 in Mac

Hi,

Let me start by saying I had WLAN Server set up on my MacBook Pro which was writing great with my iPhone 7+. I sent that back to my company and they replaced it with a MacBook Air which I never enabled WLAN Server.

On Friday I got a new Mac Mini. I did enable WLAN Server on it. My iPhone 7+ will sync with it, however syncing one time I get the error:

"Please disable and enable WLAN Server on your computer and try again"

When I do, it will work one time but then I will start to get the error again. Can you help fix this issue?

Comments

• franktcca
    franktcca
    Community Member
    Options

I suddenly have also gotten this message this week and have changed only my Comcast gateway (fancy name for router/modem piece of junk). I have an iphone X and a macbook air running Mojave 10.14.5.

• franktcca
    franktcca
    Community Member
    Options

Just started. Only change is new Comcast modem/router but same network name and password. Iphone X 12.3.1 and Macbook air 10.14.5

1Password Version: 7.3.4
    Extension Version: 6.8.3
    OS Version: os 12.3.1
    Sync Type: wlan
    Referrer: forum-search:error message please disable and enable wlan server on your computer and then try again

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tginther!

Can you please try the WLAN server troubleshooting steps and see if they help?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @franktcca! Welcome to the forum!

I would like to ask you as well to try the WLAN server troubleshooting steps and see if they help :)

• tseager
    tseager
    Community Member
    Options

I get these messages, too, but when 1Password Mini is locked. I believe it's a new feature to notify the user that the vault cannot be synched. Good, if you're not aware, but not good if you are at home, call up 1Password, and it gives you this popup message every few seconds on the iPhone if your desktop is running, but 1Password is locked. Is there a way to disable this alert? Or better yet, not popup every few seconds, especially if you're round-tripping between an application and 1password while you're copying responses to?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tseager - please try the WLAN sync troubleshooting steps, especially if you have recently switched Macs, gotten a new Mac, etc. There is no new feature with WLAN sync in this regard. I'd recommend turning it off on both devices, then re-establishing WLAN sync between Mac and iOS device(s).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hi @tginther & @franktcca,

Could the observation made by @tseager be what you're seeing too? The easiest way to check is to first ensure 1Password for Mac is unlocked. Then open and close 1Password for iOS. In 1Password for iOS's Settings page if sync is occurring you will briefly see an animated sync icon and then it will stop.

Next close 1Password for iOS. Lock 1Password for Mac, either via the menu option 1Password 7 > Lock or the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌥⌘L. Return to 1Password for iOS and see if you're presented with the error message. Close 1Password for iOS, unlock 1Password for Mac and check to see if sync seems to correctly take place.

I think @tseager has likely discovered the cause. I can reproduce the effect myself so I'll be filing an issue. Hopefully you find the same behaviour so we know we're looking at the same thing for everybody.

ref: apple-4059

• tseager
    tseager
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response Lars. The WLAN sync troubleshooting steps ag_ana linked to does not help. WLAN sync was working fine before. I did turn it off on the desktop, and disabled it on both mobile devices. I then restarted the machine, and set it up again. Same issue. If the vault is locked, even if my screen is locked on the desktop, I'll get this message when opening 1Password on my mobile device, while connected to the same LAN.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @tseager. We've notified out development team of this and they are looking into the situation.

Ben

• DL14
    DL14
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem with WLAN, I always used WLAN to sync and never had this problem before. I tried all the steps in " WLAN server troubleshooting steps" and it didn't work. I use a pay version of 1PW since the version 3, I have now the 6.6.8 version on my Mac and never had this issue before. I also use the pay version in iOS.
    I really need to sync my device, please find the problem and fix it.
    The team of 1 PW usually reacts fast and I hope it will be the same for this case.
    Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DL14! Welcome to the forum!

In your specific case, it might be worth updating 1Password on your Mac and see if that helps. Version 6.6.8 is very old now (the latest one is version 6.8.9).

• DL14
    DL14
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your tip ag_ana but I made a typing mistake about my version, actually its 6.8.8 but I can´t update to 6.8.9 because I bought the version on the Mac App Store and this version is not available anymore. (First time I bought 1 PW it was on your site but after that I bought trough the Mac App Store.)
    But strange thing is: Today I had problem with WLAN on my iPhone X, so I tried with my iPad and everything was working fine and I sync my iPad without any difficulty. After following the steps to solve the problem, (disable WLAN on the device etc...) the iPhone was still not working. I did the same on iPad (very big mistake) and the iPad started not working also showing the same msg above ""Please disable and enable WLAN Server on your computer"
    But if I open 1PW on my devices without 1 PW opened in my Mac everything is working fine. But I really needs to sync because I use all the features available in 1 PW such as attach files etc... and as far as I know its impossible to do this directly on the device.
    I hope you understand what I wrote because English in not my mother tongue.
    I hope the team will find a fix very soon. I sent the report from the iPhone X to help.
    Thanks

• DL14
    DL14
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry forgot to say this but it can be important for the team. As I said 1 PW is working fine without 1 PW for Mac opened, but when I open 1 PW on Mac, the app in iOS crash immediately. If I try to open again, it crashs after 1 second. Same thing happens on iPhone and iPad.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DL14,

You can still download 1Password 6.8.9 from the Mac App Store but the only difference is an updated code signature for the Opera browser. If you don't use Opera then 6.8.9 isn't an important update. If do want to download it though here is what you will need to do.

1. If 1Password is currently running hold down the alt/option key and click on the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar at the top of the screen. Select the menu option Quit 1Password Completely.
    2. Drag the 1Password application bundle from the /Applications/ folder to the Trash.
    3. Launch the App Store application and navigate to your purchase history.

You will find 1Password 6 listed under the title 1Password and if you download it you will obtain 1Password 6.8.9. It is only if you search the app store that you will not be able to locate 1Password 6 as we had to remove it from sale.

For the WLAN sync issue. I have seen one or two reports of crashing but we have yet to discover the cause. What one user found was starting over, the complete deletion of 1Password for iOS and setting up of a fresh copy saw the crashing stop. It won't stop the message about toggling WLAN sync off and on, that is a bug in 1Password 7.3.4 for iOS and will appear anytime 1Password for Mac is locked and 1Password for iOS attempts to perform WLAN sync. We do hope to get that fixed for a future 1Password for iOS update.

• DL14
    DL14
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks littlebobbytables. Since its not important to update to 6.8.9 because I don't use Opera, for now I will leave version 6.8.8 on my Mac because I don't want to have more problems. But thanks for your explanation to do it when I will need to do it, I took note of it.
    For the WLAN issue, I am afraid to install a fresh copy of 1 PW in iOS because I am afraid to lose all my data, because even its not syncing I am able to access all my logins until today. If I install a fresh copy how I will have my data back? I know that iOS can erase the app and leaving the data but I never tried and can you assure me that if I install a fresh copy all my data will be there?
    Funny thing, I have an old iPhone 5s and no problem to sync, just like iPad before I make the mistake to disable WLAN.
    Thanks for you help.

• rudy
    Options

@DL14,

This problem is fixed in 1Password for iOS 7.3.5, which is currently going through review with Apple. You'll want to make sure that 1Password on the Mac is unlocked when you're using the iOS version as certain events will cause the iOS version to try and Sync, and fail because the Mac version is locked, which previously was generating a quiet error, but in 7.3.4 is displaying that error every time it tries to sync with the locked desktop version.

• DL14
    DL14
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your feedback rudy.
    So nothing to do now, just waiting for the update hoping that the problem will be fix.
    I took note of your advice and I will follow it.
    I will leave a comment to let you know if everything is working with the version 7.3.5.
    Thanks again and congratulations to all the team for your reactivity to fix the issues.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you @DL14, we look forward to hearing your feedback when version 7.3.5 is out :)

• pittermann
    pittermann
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Sirs and Madames,

I have been a customer for many years. For some days I receive the attached message as soon as I go to 1Password. That happens on all my mobile devices. The note that I disable the Wi-Fi sync and reactivate I should have done. All devices switched off and started up again. The message will continue to exist. Urgently needs an indication of what it may be and what I should do to stop it.

Many thanks.

Yours sincerely
    Peter Deneffe

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• pittermann
    pittermann
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Version: 7.3.4
    iOS: 12.4
    Sync Type: WLAN

• pittermann
    pittermann
    Community Member
    Options

see Attachment

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pittermann!

This issue will be fixed in the next 1Password for iOS version 7.3.5. You can ready some more details in this post from one of our developers.

• Ottofant
    Ottofant
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen I am having the following Problems

Following message appears on my iMac after an up-date trial:
    "Update failed
    It could not detected which version of 1 Password is installed".
    The installed version is 7.3.2

1 Password does not work on my iPhone since the last up-date the installed version is 7.3.3. the app crashes everything is blocksed.

It doesn't work on my iPad Pro either version 7.3.4 installed.
    Following message appears:
    "Deactivate and activate your Wlan-Synchronization and try again" I have done this but it didn't help.

What can I do ?
    best regards

1Password Version: 7.3.2
    Extension Version: (70302004)
    OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Sync Type: WLAN

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Ottofant

I'm sorry for the trouble. Please see this post from Rudy.

Ben

• DL14
    DL14
    Community Member
    Options

@ all the members of the support team
    Like I promised, I want to let you know that the update 7.3.5 fixed the problem o WLAN sync. Everything is working fine now on iPhone X and iPad 5. I would like to congratulate the team for their reactivity. I am so happy to be able to sync without any troubles.
    I would like to ask also, please always keep a pay version for people who like to keep the passwords local. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that updating to v7.3.5 worked. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.