Tags autocomplete should not be case-sensotive

noelbernie
noelbernie
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Hi there,
I am now using pretty tag names such as "Money", as opposed to ugly tag names, such as "money".
Only problem is that in order for auto-complete to pick up what i want, i actually need to put the first letter in Uppercase, or else 1Password won't autocomplete.

Example : typing "m" won't work, i need to type "M" then 1P will suggest "Money"

Thanks guys !

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    This was actually changed because there were a lot of users with problems getting things to work properly when the behavior was the opposite. I don't think we'll be changing this back again.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    I can live with that, Jamie. :)

What's incomprehensible to me is that the type-ahead list includes much more than tags.

For example, when I type "a" I get a list of words I don't think I've ever typed...anywhere:

• noelbernie
    noelbernie
    Community Member
    edited February 2010
    @Jamie : ok, i just reverted to lowercase ;-)
    @DBrown : I don't have that here
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    @ noelbernie

I have seen a couple of posts where users mentioned this drop down like David's screenshot, but they are running leopard.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2010
    Yep, Leopard here.

I imagine there will be a LOT of Leopard Macs for quite some time. Who can afford the time and data lost to an unsuccessful upgrade?
    (I know, nothing bad has ever happened on a Mac; but there's a first time for everything.)
  • f00f
    f00f
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Adding my name to the list. :D I posted [thread=22592]an other thread early this morning[/thread]. Although I used totally the wrong terminology; it's not spelling suggestions, it's auto-complete as this thread states. No more posting at 6am for me. :P

So on Leopard, the word list for tag autocomplete is not generated from already-existing tags in the Vault, as it does in Snow Leopard. Where is the word list coming from and can we make it work like it does in SL (which is clearly the way it should work)?? Or is this a bug that needs fixing?
  • noelbernie
    noelbernie
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    that behavior in Leopard is obviously a 10.5-only bug.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    It sure seems like a bug, f00f. I don't get to decide what needs fixing, though. :)
  • harringg
    harringg
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Is this a new feature? When I start typing in the Tags field it's got a huge list of random words.

Also, it won't let me add Tags I already have in my library. Specifically "MacHeist" It will not let me even type "MacH..." It insists on only letting me type "Mach..."

m.png

Version 3.0.9 (build 30535)

MacBook Pro
    2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited February 2010
    harringg

Here is a similar thread, it doesn't look that way by the name and the first bit of posts but there are a few posts relating to what your screen shot shows. I would merge the thread but this new VB 4.0 forum software has made it awkward for me to do so easily so Ill just give you the link. Plus its time for some sleep.

http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?22502-Tags-autocomplete-should-not-be-case-sensotive&highlight=uppercase+tags
  • harringg
    harringg
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for that link. Searching the forums for "tags autofill" returned no hits so I started my own thread. Should have searched for "autocomplete". Can a moderator add my question to that post?

Thanks.
  • harringg
    harringg
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Has this issue 'officially' been dropped for 10.5.8 users? I'm trying to add a new tag that is an all CAPS acronym and it won't let me add it, it keeps autofilling a word that starts with those letters and even if I hit space to break up the word, it won't allow me to change it to CAPS, it's all lower case. Currently running Version 3.2.3 (build 30662).

Here was my work around. Type C<space>A<space>P, delete the first and second space and hit tab (CAP is not the acronym I'm using, it's an example for this post). That works. But the next time I try to use that tag, same thing, it won't remember it, even though it shows up in the TAGS on the sidebar. In short, there is no fix, and there is no plans for a fix for 10.5.8 users?
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for sharing your workaround. I can imagine that's not convenient to do but it's something that others might not have though of on there own.

The word from the developers is that this is something that can not be changed without writing our own set of routines and that takes us away from writing some other part of 1Password. The existing routines we're using simply behave differently under Leopard compared to Snow Leopard and that's unfortunate.

Something that many customers don't know is that you can tag items not only by typing into the Tag field of a single item but you can also select items in the listing area of the window and then drag-n-drop a tag onto them. That might make your effort a little easier both with this issue as well as even with Snow Leopard's improvements.
  • harringg
    harringg
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    The drag-drop thing may be a viable work around. Just don't understand how in one OS it's 'programmed' to give all these random Tags, but not in another. Doesn't matter, just doesn't make sense as an end-user is all. I use many different programs that use Tags and have never seen this behavior in 10.5.8, so it's not an OS issue, just a 1Password issue.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    harringg wrote:
    The drag-drop thing may be a viable work around. Just don't understand how in one OS it's 'programmed' to give all these random Tags, but not in another. Doesn't matter, just doesn't make sense as an end-user is all. I use many different programs that use Tags and have never seen this behavior in 10.5.8, so it's not an OS issue, just a 1Password issue.

It has to do with the specific API calls we make: in Leopard the routines provide this "helpful" list of dictionary values (which we don't really expect) and in Snow Leopard the same routines don't (hurray!).
This discussion has been closed.