New password generation is not working

Options
Naxterra
Naxterra
Community Member

Hello

I want to update my password on iOS, like uber.com but it is not showing me option to generate new password. It keeps insisting entering my current password.

I also went to 1Password app, then uber.com entry, clicked on password and generated new password there but there is no option to copy it.

As a side note, that password generator has ability to set minimum characters, symbols and digits, why can't Windows version do it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I want to update my password on iOS, like uber.com but it is not showing me option to generate new password. It keeps insisting entering my current password.

@Naxterra: This guide will help:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

I also went to 1Password app, then uber.com entry, clicked on password and generated new password there but there is no option to copy it.

In 1Password for iOS, tapping the password field will always give you the option to copy it. But in most cases you don't even need to do that, since you can use iOS Password Autofill:

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

I'm 90% sure that works in the Uber app, as I think I used it there recently when signing in.

As a side note, that password generator has ability to set minimum characters, symbols and digits, why can't Windows version do it?

It can. What's currently in 1Password for iOS is the old password generator. We'll be rolling out the new one there and other places before long. That has checkboxes to include numbers and/or symbols, so you will always get at least one -- without limiting it to only one, the way the old generator in 1Password for iOS does.

I hope this helps!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019
    Options

@Naxterra:

Indeed, that's why the article shared by brenty says to tap on Done after generating the new password:

Tap Generate New Password. If the website requires a certain password length, digits, or symbols, adjust the settings. Then tap Done. Your new password will be automatically copied.

You cannot copy unless you save it before. Can you please do that? It will save your new password and also store your previous one in case something goes wrong.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Naxterra,

Changing passwords on an iOS device does lack some of the polish that users are accustomed to from either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows. It is certainly an area where improvements can be made. For the moment though the path of least resistance is to save the new password before the site/app has acknowledged the change. Should something go wrong the old password is not lost, all Login items contain a password history and the previous password will be at the top of the list. Assuming there has been at least one password change since the Login item was created you will find in 1Password for iOS a option titled Previously Used Passwords whilst in 1Password for Mac it's a button titled View Password History. I agree that isn't great but I hope it means saving the new password doesn't feel that final.

This discussion has been closed.