v7.3.4 on iOS 12.3.1 crashes when syncing with v6.8.9 on macOS 10.14.5

pentool
pentool
Community Member

On my Macs I am using 1Password v6.8.9 - which is the last version of the v6 series. On iOS I am running v7.3.4 which is the latest as of July 21.

I initiate the WLAN syncing (over WiFi) on my Mac and sync that to my iPhone 7 and iPad 6 - both running iOS 12.3.1.

The app crashed on BOTH iOS devices when the sync process started. This was the first time this has ever happened. Both of my devices sent a crash report just a few minutes before July 21, 2:20am PDT.

iPhone 7 + iPad 6:
iOS 12.3.1 / 1PW v7.3.4

Mac mini + MacBook Pro:
macOS 10.14.5 / 1PW v6.8.9

1Password Version: 7.3.4 (iOS); 6.8.9 (Mac)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.3.1; macOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: WLAN over WiFi

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pentool!

Did this happen again, after the first crash, or were you able to use the WLAN server sync without issues?

• pentool
    pentool
    Community Member

After the first crash on both iPad and iPhone I was able to sync via WLAN.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! I'm glad it's working for you now, and we're looking into it. I appreciate you bringing it up!

• kai1pwd
    kai1pwd
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

I confirm observing the same issue (with slightly different iOS/macOS versions).

My config:
    1Password macOS: Version 6.8.9 (689001) AgileBits Store
    macOS: High Sierra Version 10.13.6

1Password iOS: Version 7.3.4 (70304000)
    iOS: 12.2

2 things, which got recently updated on my systems are:

• 1Password iOS update on 7/19/2019
    • macOS Security Update 2019-004 Version 10.13.6 (applied yesterday)

Any idea already what causes the issue?
    It is reproducible: opening 1PWD on both devices, switching on WiFi Sync in macOS 1PWD = crash on iOS

When WiFi sync stays enabled in macOS 1PWD, a restart of iOS 1PWD results immediately in a crash. No chance to bring it up. Returns back to springboard everytime I try to start the iOS version (as long as sync is enabled). Disabling sync, then 1PWD iOS starts and is usable.
    Completely reproducible.

Thanks for looking into it.
    I've confirmed on iOS also to let 1PWD send an error report. Hope that helps too.

• Hi @kai1pwd

Would you be willing to please send us the crash logs directly? Here are the steps you'll need to follow:

1. Plug your phone into your computer and sync it with iTunes.
    2. Switch to the Finder, click on the Go menu and choose "Go to Folder..."
    3. Paste the following into the window that pops up: ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/
    4. Select all the files that begin with 1Password and drag them to Mail in the Dock to create a new mail message.
    5. Send the email to support+forum@agilebits.com

With your email please include a link to this thread:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/105677/v7-3-4-on-ios-12-3-1-crashes-when-syncing-with-v6-8-9-on-macos-10-14-5#latest
    as well as your forum handle.

When you send the message you will get an automated reply from BitBot containing a Support ID. Please post the Support ID here so we can 'connect the dots.'

Ben

• kai1pwd
    kai1pwd
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

Thx, here you go, Ben: [#IPM-63747-163]

The result is the same, but want to mention a little difference between iPadPro (w/ FaceID) and iPhone7+ (w/ TouchID):

• the above mentioned observation applies to my iPadPro.
    • with iPhone7+, since it has no FaceID, but TouchID, when I try to restart iOS 1PWD (after 1st crash), then 1PWD acts "in a loop": app starts, asks for TouchID, crashes (immediately, I'm not even touching the screen yet), restarts itself, asks for TouchID, crashes, and so on and so on.

Just tried a few more rounds of that one on the iPhone. And now, it does not crash anymore. But instead iOS 1PWD shows a new modal dialog saying: "1Password had to disable syncing with the WLAN server because of a problem. To start syncing again, go to Syncing > Sync. 1Password encountered a problem. [Dismiss] (Button)"

Alright, when enabling the sync (in iOS, as described in the modal dialog) again, then the "crash cycle" is back again as outlined before.

It goes without saying, that "sync experience", hence sync functionality is not sufficiently working apparently - which is the only different observation in contrast to what the other user is experiencing: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/517544/#Comment_517544

• Thanks @kai1pwd. I've got our team looking into this.

Ben

• kai1pwd
    kai1pwd
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

pls remove this "empty post". can't delete it myself it seems. thx

• It looks like your post originally got caught in the spam filter. I've since released it. Sorry for the inconvenience. I asked our team to review the crash logs. They're trying to get started on that, but they're asking for a diagnostics report. On that same email thread could you please send us a report from each of your devices:

Thanks very much!

Ben

• Rici
    Rici
    Community Member

I have the same problem!
    Send you already a diagnostics report. Sync between iOS 12.4, 1PW 7.3.4 and macOS 10.11.6 with 1PW 6.8.8 don't work anymore. This setting worked since years without problems. Time Capsule Router.

• kai1pwd
    kai1pwd
    Community Member

@Ben, alright. Sent diagnostics reports now for 2x iOS and 1x Mac devices.

• Rici
    Rici
    Community Member

Done

• @kai1pwd

Thanks! Responded via email. Let's continue there.

Ben

• Thanks for the reports, @Rici. We'll be in touch soon.

Ben

• kai1pwd
    kai1pwd
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Hi @Ben, I have installed meanwhile 1PWD iOS 7.3.5 version, both on iPhone7+ and on iPad.
    Sync works, no crashes noticed so far :)

One made observation:

• iPhone7+ (latest iOS 12.4) w/ 1PWD 7.3.5 + Mac PWD => Sync ok
    • before I updated 1PWD on the iPad too, I just tried it (1PWD on 7.3.4) => Sync also ok, no crash; the other adjustment done some days before has been the installation of an Apple "Security Update 2019-004 Version 10.13.6, installed 8/1/2019" (it's the security package, which was released once already (and that version I had installed as well, as mentioned in one of my previous posts), then got revoked due to reported kernel panics, and finally re-issued in a fixed version again); who knows if there was something in the initial security update package, which probably paved the way for a misbehaving 1PWD sync;
    • then updated 1PWD on iPad (to 7.3.5) => Sync (still) ok

Thanks for fixing it from your side in a good timely manner and having reacted very quickly to your users' voices!
    Cheers

• @kai1pwd

Thanks for the update! :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.