To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

why do I need to subscribe? I have a Password5 license (2014)

Danisman
Danisman
Community Member

I recently updated to 1Password7 and migrated my account to my iPhone. I understand that this is a trial subscription lasting 30 days. What happens if I don't start paying by 30 days? Can I still use the Password5 version that I purchased in 2014? What advantages are there to paying the 2.99/month for 7?
Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Mojave 10.14.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:why do I need to subscribe? I have a Password5 license (2014)

Comments

• Hi @Danisman,

Welcome to the forum. Licenses never expire so you can continue to use the version of the software you purchased for as long as it works for you, though as you update/upgrade other software that will become less practical/possible. For example I wouldn't expect 1Password 2 for Mac to run on any modern Mac hardware or version of macOS, though if someone had a license for it they could still try.

What happens if I don't start paying by 30 days?

If you are using a 1Password membership and do not pay the associated subscription the membership will become frozen. You'd still be able to read and export your data, but would not be able to add new entries, change existing ones, or use the browser extensions.

What advantages are there to paying the 2.99/month for 7?

There are a lot of advantages to membership, including access to the latest versions of 1Password. You can read about the benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

And you can read about the new stuff in 1Password 7 here:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

Of course the latest version is also compatible with the latest versions of macOS and web browsers, whereas older versions may not be. We can't recommend using an older version. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.