HSBC USA not filling or storing login details correctly

Hi there. I know HSBC can be tricky, and has been for years, but thought I'd point out an issue that might be fixable.

Browser: Safari Version 11.1.2 (11605.3.8.1)
1P: V6
Site: https://www.us.hsbc.com

I have one login setup for HSBC in 1P. HSBC has a two page login process. First page is USERNAME only, and is filled correctly by 1P. 2nd page is DOB using 3 fields, one for month, 2nd for day and 3rd for year, followed by a PASSWORD field.

On page two there appears to be no way to get 1P to autofill the DOB. Instead it forces the USERNAME into the YEAR field and then correctly fills the PASSWORD.

I use to have to Login cards for pg1 and pg2, but even this wouldn't solve the problem, as there appears to be no way to fill the 3 DOB fields.

Thoughts?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @markballou,

I was originally going to say what makes this tricky is our inability to reach the second page but a guess at a possible username meant that I could reach the second stage to test and see what we could learn. What I found is if I saved a Login item using the steps detailed on our support page How to save a Login manually in your browser and then tried to fill that page that it filled all four fields. The Login item won't automatically display fields for the DoB like it will a username nut they will be contained within the web form details section which you can view by clicking the Show web form details button.

I haven't tried to create a Login item that can handle both stages but separate Login items for each stage ought to work. If you continue to have trouble please do let me know.

• markballou
    markballou
    Community Member

Yes and yes @littlebobbytables. Thanks for your help! Back to the two login items for now. You are correct indeed. It functions, but does not show the full DoB details in the Login item. However it fills them correctly.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @markballou,

Looks like we can reduce it down to a single Login item. Knowing that individual ones worked I went back just to see if there was anything we could do any better. With the slightest modification to your existing item one will fill both stages.

1. Edit the Login item for the second stage, the one with your password visible and date of birth hidden in the web form details.
    2. Click the Show web form details button.
    3. Near the top of the entries you will find one titled username. Further down the list you will find one titled password and you will notice to the right hand side it has a silhouette of a key, this is what designates that this field represents the password.
    4. Returning to the username field, click in the same area where the key would be. A small menu will appear, select the silhouette of the person.
    5. For the field value enter your username.
    6. Save.

What we've done is update the existing (but not visible) field to tell 1Password that this represents the username, to help when filling the first stage and to store the correct value. Hopefully you will find that this modification allows both stages to fill all the fields correctly.

• markballou
    markballou
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

That does indeed work @littlebobbytables. A little involved to accomplish, but the first single login I've had with 1P in years that worked with HSBC. Now we can just wait for their login system to change again and we can do this all over. Thanks!

• Hey @markballou, I'm so glad that worked for you! On behalf of @littlebobbytables, you're very welcome. :smile:

• PasswordsHippo
    PasswordsHippo
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables @ag_michaelc I tried these steps, using my saved login for the second page, however, it then starts to fill the year field with my username. Under the saved form details, it still has the correct year under dateYear, but for some reason, after changing the designation of the username field to the person silhouette, it is now using that username for the year field.

Why is it convinced the dateYear field is the username? Any way to tell it no?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PasswordsHippo,

What version of 1Password do you have? The filling logic has changed quite a lot during my short time with 1Password so an explanation and any potential solution is likely tied to the version of 1Password a person is using. I'll happily take a look and see what I find when using the same version of 1Password as yourself :smile:

• PasswordsHippo
    PasswordsHippo
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables

1Password 7
    Version 7.3.1 (70301007)
    Mac App Store

I tend to keep all my apps up to date. I also use the Windows version on my work computers.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @PasswordsHippo,

Sadly no good news at the moment for 1Password 7. None of the tricks I've tried work. I was able to coerce 1Password X, our standalone extension, into correctly filling all the fields so it suggests there may be positive news at some point in the future but that isn't very useful for you right now, not unless you happen to use a 1Password account and your preferred browser is either Firefox or a Chromium based one. If you have a 1Password account and we're not talking about Safari then you could give 1Password X a try.

Now 1Password X wasn't enough by itself, I found it still made mistakes even after saving a Login item in the browser but with the right Login item it would eventually play nicely. Here is what I found I needed to do.

1. Either in the main 1Password window or in the 1Password account web interface create a brand new Login item.
    2. Set the title, username, password and website fields appropriately, you can copy and paste from an existing Login item for this site if you want.
    3. Create three new custom fields, all using the default field type of text. The field labels should be set to
      3.1. dateMonth
      3.2. dateDay
      3.3. dateYear
    4. Set the field values to those for your date of birth.
    5. Save.

In 1Password X I found that would fill both the username in the first stage and the four fields in the second stage but does require 1Password X. 1Password X tends to receive the most recent filling logic first so it should mean that at some point in the future 1Password for Mac will catch up. I apologise there isn't better news.

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#361

• markballou
    markballou
    Community Member

Huh, pleased with my solution on an antiquated machine, but I scratch my head that I’d lose functionality if I upgrade machines and to your latest version, especially in the Apple ecosystem, your original base.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

The filling logic has gone through some sweeping changes since 1Password 6. We do hope that it makes for more robust filling in more places but as with any large change there can be a bit of fine tuning to complete as we learn where it isn't working as expected. I do of course appreciate that isn't much comfort if you're a user of one of these sites we've yet to learn about :(

• PasswordsHippo
    PasswordsHippo
    Community Member

Just remove the association between username and some arbitrary field (in this case "dateYear"). Seems like a weird association given that there is literally a field "username."

• markballou
    markballou
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much, just frustrating to see 2 steps forward one step back, in the name of progress. Non-issue for me currently, but my near 10yr old MBP is going to need replacing eventually (with SSD & RAM upgrades it's done exceptionally well), and I don't look forward to the workflow changes I'll inevitably have to address.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PasswordsHippo: we opened an internal issue to investigate this ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@markballou: we are constantly looking at the filling logic and working to make it support as many websites as possible. Not every website will work out of the box though, as not every website is created equally, but when we find an example of a website that doesn't work, we will certainly look into it and see what we can do :)

• antof
    antof
    Community Member

Hello!

I was having the same issues as you for HSBC US login. I asked 1P about it on Twitter and they came up with the suggestion of removing the username from the login item and instead using custom fields for dateMonth, dateDay, dateYear and username. I've tried this and it works for me. The year is no longer populated with the user name. Here's 1P's tweet to me:

• markballou
    markballou
    Community Member

Rt on @antof. I’ll surely give it a try when I update my machine and subsequently my version of 1P.

• Thanks for sharing my solution with the community, @antof. :smile: I was actually going to add it to this post myself, but you beat me to the punch! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.