Can the password generator NOT require unlock?

Options

I use the password generator to create random passwords, and I recently changed from 1Password 4.x to the current 1Password 7 app in Windows 10, and now if I want to create a quick random password it requires me to unlock with the master password each time.

The password would still be prompted to be saved, if someone USED it somewhere that was monitored (browser, etc) - so this requirement to ensure the vault is unlocked doesn't seem necessary.

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• The problem with that, @mike503, is if for any reason the password isn't detected and saved. When your vault is unlocked, we can save a Password item for you to make absolutely sure you don't end up locked out of an account with a password you don't know. When it's locked, you're right that you'll see a prompt to unlock and save so long as 1Password does realize you've entered a password, but that isn't something we can guarantee. I know that autosave works the vast majority of the time and that's great, but it can still fail and we want you (and everyone else) to have a backup if0 it does.

If you're okay with that and want to generate a password without having it saved or unlocking your vault at times, there is a web version of the Secure Password Generator as well:

https://1password.com/password-generator/

And, of course, you can always adjust your autolock settings to prevent 1Password from locking as often if you'd prefer to use mini to generate passwords and want to avoid needing to unlock quite so much. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.