need a secret key to download 1Password acct on new iMac, but I don't have one

mg041195
mg041195
Community Member

Have a 1Password acct--I think purchased from Apple store--and need to put the application on a new iMac. However, downloading it requires the secret key, and I don't believe I ever got one. How to get around this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:need a secret key to download 1Password acct on new iMac, but I don't have one

Comments

• Hi @mg041195

To clarify: do you have a 1Password subscription membership? A Secret Key is part of a membership, so you'll only have one if you have a subscription. If you purchased a license for one or more of the 1Password apps, but don't have a membership, you won't have a Secret Key.

Ben

• Helen Rodemeyer
    Helen Rodemeyer
    Community Member

I'm in the same boat. I have 1Password on my iMac, iPhone, and iPad Pro... I'm trying to add it to my MacBook Pro, but it is asking for a secret key. The instructions say, if I purchased 1Password, then I don't have a secret key. I bought my version years ago, and upgraded to the Pro version. It is still asking for one. So now what? Thank you in advance.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Helen Rodemeyer - it sounds as if you may have downloaded 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store? If so, that will be the reason: version 7 from the Mac App Store is 1Password subscription/membership only, so if you "bought your version years ago," that was probably before membership/accounts existed. Can I ask: what versions of 1Password are you running on other devices, and what version do you have a license for? Did you purchase directly from us, or from the Mac App Store?

• austin7cups
    austin7cups
    Community Member

I have been using 1Password for many years. I'm trying to use v7 During the upgrade process I was asked about memberships. I was asked for a secret key which I don't have. Do I now have membership fees as well as the cost of the app? My last version was 6.8. I love this app, but am now confused. In is on all of my devices. I have only upgraded on my Mac which I did reflexively. I believe I have purchased most versions from the app store, but I have been using it for at least ten years. I had no idea there was a differnce between downloading from you and the app store.

• @austin7cups

Membership includes access to the latest versions of all of the 1Password apps. You do not need to purchase them separately. You can create a membership within the 1Password 7 app once installed.

Ben

• joanwebb
    joanwebb
    Community Member

I too have been using 1password for many years. The it stopped autofilling on my mac. I contacted support who asked me to provide the invoice from when I first purchased it but I don't know where this is. I downloaded 1password7 in the end and it seems to wprk but still no autofilling. I just don't know what to do. It seems I already have an account but dont have the secret key for that. I don't know what to do next. I don't want to lose what is in my vault and being synced onto my iPad so I don't want to delete it completely from my mac. Help!!

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joanwebb, and I'm sorry for the trouble! I'll reach out to you via email in just a moment so we can continue the discussion there.

ref: NXQ-54854-493

This discussion has been closed.