Changing 1Password "Settings" on iPad

cdkmek
cdkmek
Community Member

From Settings clicked "1Password Browser" then clicked "User Agent". I changed this setting from 1Password to Safari (iPad). What does this do or change and would you recommend it? Same question goes for my Mac and iPad? I can't find how to get to these same settings on my Mac, how do I access it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @cdkmek,

So the 1Password Browser, formerly known as 1Browser requires a brief history for it to make sense.

Before iOS 8 there was no way for two iOS apps to interact, not beyond copy and paste anyway. With no way to interact with iOS Safari we needed a way to make using 1Password easier for the user on their iOS devices. By building a browser into 1Password for iOS it meant we could interact with the page and fill using your Login items, just as the user was accustomed to on the Mac. It was a being time saver over jumping backwards and forwards between 1Password for iOS and iOS Safari and using the iOS clipboard.

After iOS 8 though we jumped on the new features available and so we have a Safari extension and a generic iOS extension that third party apps could support. Later in iOS 12 Apple opened up iOS AutoFill and we were there on day one as well.

1Password for iOS still has the built in browser but to be perfectly honest I think the argument for it is much weaker now. Personally I'd say stay within iOS Safari and use either AutoFill or our iOS Safari extension.

So that's the brief history, none of which touches on what the user agent is. Certain sites will serves different pages depending on the browser that is making the request. Some times you need to force a site to load a certain version to get things to play nicely. That's where the user agent comes in. Maybe a site throws a hissy fit if the browser says it is 1Browser but will happily work if 1Browser lies and claims it is iOS Safari on an iPhone. It only applies if you're using the built-in browser and I tend to leave it on 1Password unless I'm troubleshooting or a site is misbehaving.

On the Mac there is no built in browser, 1Password simply works with a variety of the popular browsers out there, all of which allow our extension to be installed. So there is no need for an option like this in 1Password for Mac. Certain browsers will allow you to play about with the user-agent string but that is very much browser specific and aimed more at developers.

As always, if you have any follow-up questions please do let us know :smile:

• cdkmek
    cdkmek
    Community Member

Thank you, I'll change it back to 1Password on IOS devices

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you are welcome @cdkmek!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.