Master Password Too Long

1Password requires the master password to be 10 characters
This is too long, esp if I need to enter it frequently
I used to have a 4 digit password. Why can't I still have this?

Can I use a fingerprint reader on a laptop as the master password?

I need a quick and easy solution to open 1Password. If banks can use a 4 digit pin, why can't 1Password?

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2019

Hi @TimTDP

Your Master Password is what is used to encrypt your 1Password data. It is the most important layer of protection available. Length is the primary distinction between strong passwords and weak passwords. We have a guide on choosing a good one here:

How to choose a good Master Password

A passphrase may be the way to go. They can be easy to remember as well as quite long.

if I need to enter it frequently

While we do recommend that you enter your Master Password with some regularity so that you can memorize it and build up muscle memory you can adjust how frequently 1Password locks, and under what conditions, in the 1Password preferences. You can read about those preferences here:

How to set 1Password to lock automatically

Can I use a fingerprint reader on a laptop as the master password?

The Master Password will always be what is used to encrypt your data, so it is critical that it be memorized. That said, you can use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password in many (but not all) cases. There will still be times where the Master Password is required:

Use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC

If your fingerprint reader is supported by Windows Hello that may be an option to look into. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.