1Password X Feature Request: Delayed Save or Pop Up

It may be that this already is in achievable or even just me doing something wrong, but I notice when initially setting up 1Password (Logging in and saving all my information) The save to 1Password icon pops up In 1 Password X prior to submitting the form containing the password. This is different to the Mac app where a pop up appears once you submit the form.

I have already done all of my information, But I am now setting up more family with 1Password and one of those people is useless with passwords and doesn't actually know if half of them are correct, So I have to try to log into all the accounts and end up saving incorrect information.

Would it be possible for 1Password X to behave similarly to the Mac app, as currently I am typing in informatin saving it, submitting it, and then it turns out to be incorrect, with the Mac App, I could simply wait to see the website log in in the background behind the pop up and then save if correct and not save if incorrect.

I face a similar issue when I am changing passwords, occasionally when I use the generated password for a website, You chose to generate the password, save it and then submit the form. Sometimes when I do this the website then sometimes comes back saying the password doesn't meet their criteria, and again I have incorrect information?

Am I doing something wrong here or making a mountain out of a molehill? The first 2 accounts I set up I never had this issue as I knew the passwords were correct to begin with and used the Mac app for one of those which behaves differently.

For reference I am using 1Password X on a separate chrome profile rather than messing around with the Mac app and multiple users within that.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Zaka_7! Thanks for starting a conversation here. As someone who used to be terrible at remembering their passwords (and maybe still am, but with 1Password, it doesn't matter anymore), I can relate. What I did when I originally set up 1Password was always chose to save the Login, and if it was incorrect, I'd just save it again and update what I already had saved. The reason I went that route is so that I didn't risk losing a password by not saving it. That's probably what I'd recommend since it worked well for me, but I don't think you're doing anything wrong by any means.

Now, I'll try to answer your question the best I can – why does the save prompt appear before the password is accepted? The answer isn't terribly interesting. Basically, it's a pretty hard problem to determine whether the user successfully signed in to a site. In many cases, you can use navigation events to know when the page is moving on, but some sites, especially web apps that don't use actual navigation are more challenging. It would be nice to be able to do this in a reliable way, and I'd be just as excited as you to see it happen.

Next, why doesn't 1Password X save the same way 1Password for Mac does? Truly, they do save the same way, but the UI is completely different. Both offer to save a password before you know it's been accepted. The difference is that, thanks to the desktop app, we can offer to save via a floating window that allows for the page to load in the background. That leaves it up to the user to save the Login or just hit cancel if the password wasn't accepted. 1Password X doesn't have that same ability since it operates solely in the browser. I appreciate the request, though, and it's something we can consider as we make improvements down the road. In fact, it's been discussed here before, so I'll bring it up to my team and make sure they're aware of your interest.

I hope this clears things up a bit, but if it sparks any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

ref: x/b5x#273

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

Thank you @kaitlyn at least it wasn't just me doing something wrong,
    I'll try your suggestion as that doesn't sound a bad work around :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of kaitlyn, you are welcome @Zaka_7!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

And you :D @ag_ana

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.