All Passwords Saved Since 2015 Disappeared

Options
afarris
afarris
Community Member
edited August 2019 in Mac

I'm using 1password 6 on my MacBook and syncing via Dropbox. I had to put my MacBook in for repair and so was setting up an alternative MacBook with 1password and dropbox.

On the new machine I installed 1password 7 and it seems to have caused problems. All my saved logins since 2015 have disappeared.

The problem is I had two folders in my dropbox "1Pass Vaults" and "1Pass Vaults Copy" and I was unsure which was my active vault and which was a backup setup in the past.

1Pass Vaults

Looked like this except without the .opvault file. The .opvault file was made by 1password7 on the new machine today.

1Pass Vaults Copy

Looks like this, you can ignore the vault titled "legacy account" it is for storing unused logins.

The file 1password.legacyagilekeychain is 2.1mb, about double the size of others and therefore may be the more up to date vault which has the additional 500 logins created since 2015.

The problem is I cannot open this file, I have even tried installing 1password 6 instead on the new machine.

I need urgent help here because my fear is that the vault with 2015 login data will sync to dropbox and I will lose all my logins.

1Password Version: 6/7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @afarris!

I think that the issue is that 1password.legacyagilekeychain has a file extension that 1Password does not know. It needs to be either .opvault or just agilekeychain. If you use the correct file extension, can you then try doing File > Import... > 1Password Keychain from 1Password 7?

• afarris
    afarris
    Community Member
    Options

1password 7 won't let me select the .agilekeychain file, it is greyed out.

• afarris
    afarris
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

I followed some instructions from here, to get into 1password 7: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/432823/#Comment_432823

But File > Import is greyed out.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@afarris:

Importing won't work until you are in All Vaults view. Please try selecting a specific vault first, and the import menu should become available.

1password 7 won't let me select the .agilekeychain file, it is greyed out.

Once you have selected a specific vault, you should see a window like this after clicking on the Import menu:

If you select the 1Password Keychain entry, 1Password 7 should be able to import the legacy .agilekeychain file and automatically convert it to .opvault for you (you won't be able to directly import .agilekeychain files in 1Password 7 without converting them, as 1Password 7 only supports the newer .opvault file format).

• afarris
    afarris
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Still greyed out.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@afarris: looking at your screenshot, nothing has changed from your previous screenshot: you still have All Vaults selected (notice the blue background).

You need to click on one of the vaults below it (Primary, 1pass (alone) or others, depending on where you want to import your data).

• afarris
    afarris
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

I tried that too.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@afarris:

Out of curiosity, what do you see if you click on 1Password 7 in the menu bar and click the License... entry?

• afarris
    afarris
    Community Member
    Options

Well I drove to the apple store and got the 1pass vaults off my macbook, unmolested by whatever 1pass 7 did to them.

I installed 1pass 6 on the new machine and it is working again. I don't want to install 1pass 7 again since it screwed everything up.

My new question is how do I get rid of all the vaults not selected here. Help > Troubleshoot > Delete All did not remove this stuff.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2019
    Options

@afarris

I installed 1pass 6 on the new machine and it is working again. I don't want to install 1pass 7 again since it screwed everything up.

You probably just did not purchase it, since 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade, hence my question in my previous post ;)

My new question is how do I get rid of all the vaults not selected here. Help > Troubleshoot > Delete All did not remove this stuff.

Switch to each vault in the vault list, where you were before, and then select 1Password 6 in your menu bar > Delete Vault for each vault you want to remove.

• afarris
    afarris
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I think that is the case, I have not purchased 1password 7. Although I will say I think it should be made clearer on your download page not to download 1p7 if you don't own it... since it half works, just enough to screw up the data. It shouldn't work at all in that case.

I can't delete the vault listed as "primary", it is greyed out.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @afarris,

I'm afraid 1Password gives the Primary vault special importance and there is only one allowed scenario in which you can delete it, if you have a 1Password account connected to 1Password. We allow it there because one of the principals behind the 1Password account is you no longer need standalone vaults, just 1Password account vaults so in that one case the Primary vault can be deleted.

To really tidy it all up you would need to start over in 1Password 6 and when setting up your new Primary vault connect it to the now identified Agile Keychain. In 1Password 6 the option to start over can be located in the menu Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and if memory serves me correctly 1Password will need to be locked for the option to be enabled.

If you do go down this route 1Password will create a backup just before starting over so nothing will be truly lost. Restoring a backup does disconnect any active synchronisation already set up though as a precaution. If we didn't do that 1Password might sync and return this copy of 1Password back to the state that caused you to need a restore point in the first place.

• afarris
    afarris
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, in that case I'll leave it as is for now because I'll only be on this temp machine for a week.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @afarris! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.