To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Mobile account recovery for 1Password

Martijnn
Martijnn
Community Member
edited August 2019 in Memberships

LastPass introduced a feature called "mobile account recovery" in May. This makes it possible to reset your master password without losing all your stored data in your vault.

Can you also bring this feature to 1Password?

https://blog.lastpass.com/2019/05/never-lose-access-lastpass-account-recovery-mobile.html/

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Martijnn!

If you have a Families or Business account, you can already use account recovery. And recovering your account leaves your data intact ;)

• Martijnn
    Martijnn
    Community Member

@ag_ana But what if you don't have a Families account?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Martijnn,

Whilst not elegant we have assisted users where they can access their data on a single device to migrate to a new account, copying everything over. It's currently a manual process but achievable for what we hope are rare events. That doesn't mean we don't want to do something better. I'm unable to say what we've considered and eliminated or what we're hoping has promise but we do realise that users with a 1Password Individuals account would love to have that extra layer of protection that our Families and Business accounts already have.

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

Some other password managers really do seem to focus on convenience over security, which for something that is supposed to lock down and secure your digital life, really does astound me.

1Password doing it the right way for me.

• @Zaka_7

Thanks for saying so. :) We're hopeful that we'll be able to improve the convenience here without negatively impacting security, but it is a fine balancing act which is part of why we're not rushing into anything.

Ben

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

The way it should be @Ben
    These convenience features just lure people into a false sense of security in my mind, it negates the whole purpose of having a password manager, whilst i'm all for convenience, security is definitely my priority! so that's very reassuring to hear :D

• :+1: :)

Ben

• Martijnn
    Martijnn
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

@Ben

If this feature has a negative impact on the security, can you then make it possible for 1Password to automatically create encrypted backups on all your devices?

Then I also would like to be able to determine how often these automatic backups are created.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Martijnn:

Certainly, that's why we already include automatic backups ;)

• Martijnn
    Martijnn
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

@ag_ana

That's right, but I also want to be able to make automatically local backups of my vault on the 1Password server.

For example when I make a typo when changing my master password.Then I can reset my account and use a local backups to restore my vaults to an earlier state.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Martijnn:

If you are afraid of that happening, you can export your data at regular intervals. Just make sure to protect it properly, as exported data is not encrypted, so you might want to put it on an encrypted volume if you want to keep a copy around.

This discussion has been closed.