Localization in Russian fow Windows

Artem4ik
Artem4ik
Community Member
edited April 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

The translation of the program under Windows into Russian is made with numerous errors. I declare this as a native speaker!
For example, I reported some errors a few months ago, but they were not fixed ...
Please add a localization project on Crowdin.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2019

Hi @Artem4ik,

Thanks for writing in.

Which errors are you referring to and what is the 1Password version you're using?

We do not plan to open up 1Password's Crowdin projects to the public, we are using a third party service to translate the apps with humans. If there is a mistake, we will report it to them to fix as soon as possible.

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

@MikeT For example. Create a new login:

Half words with a capital letter, half words with a small letter. I'll tell you honestly - it's annoying.

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

Describe many minor problems very time consuming! I could easily make changes to the Crowdin translation. But to describe every mistake, apply screenshots - it's all very long and not very interesting ...

P.S. I really love your program, and I consider it the best password manager. But the translation of the program under Windows into Russian is, to my great regret, HORRIBLE. Those people who are engaged in translation - do it very badly. Dismiss them if you pay them money. Translations that are created by ordinary users on Crowdin look MUCH better!

• Although I'm not terribly familiar with our translation process being hopelessly monolingual, @Artem4ik, I did pass your feedback along to the folks who work more directly with our translators. We pride ourselves on being a truly global company and I have a number of teammates whose native language is Russian. While I obviously lack the requisite knowledge to comment on the quality of the translation, I do feel our translations should reflect the overall love and care we put into building 1Password. I also know there are many others who are similarly passionate about ensuring 1Password puts its best foot forward in any language we support.

This is a new process and one I hope will ultimately improve quality overall. When relying on Crowdin volunteers, we had several languages that were very well done, but numerous others with translations that were incomplete, not reviewed timely, or not contributed to at all. Having professional translators helps us ensure that we can consistently support defined languages throughout the 1Password ecosystem – a great improvement over previous efforts – but that doesn't mean we shouldn't hold those translators to a high standard. I really appreciate your feedback and will ensure it reaches the folks who can make improvements down the road. :chuffed:

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

1. You need to change the color of the input language. On a white background, white letters are indistinguishable!
    2. I have Russian language turned on, but this window has not yet been translated into Russian ...

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

The word "БЕСПЛТАНО" does not fit
    The last letter is truncated ...

• That background is picked by Windows, @Artem4ik, and depends on your desktop wallpaper's primary color, in theory. Personally, I end up with black most of the time, but sometimes it's blue despite my background being a picture of the Milky Way (so definitely mostly black). I don't know if we can make that font color dynamic or not, but unless we can it's going to be invisible for someone since we can't control the background color. I'll let our development team know, though, in case there's something we can do.

As for the Russian translation, my understanding is there is a sizable project ongoing around the Russian localization specifically, but I have shared this thread with those that coordinate with the translators so they're aware. :+1:

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

Recently, this screen began to be displayed in English - although it was in Russian.

• Could you put your best guess at a date on "recently", @Artem4ik? Also, what version of 1Password for Windows is displaying this issue? I know we made some localization tweaks to the latest beta and I can imagine at least one of those changes that might have lead to this, but knowing your exact version and best guess at the timing will help me be more certain. Thanks!

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

@bundtkate I am using the stable version. And as I understand it, it has not been updated for a long time. Therefore, I am very surprised at the fact of changing the language 😅.
    Recently - "+ - a few weeks"

• That's exactly why I asked @Artem4ik. You're absolutely right that stable hasn't seen an update in a bit so any changes there would be unexpected. I'm also not aware of any Windows updates in that timeframe, which is particularly odd. We did just get a Windows update a few days ago, as I understand, but I can't rightly blame that update if this has been around for a few weeks or so. A bit of a head scratcher to be sure.

If you pop open Windows Update and look at your update history, do you see any updates installed around the proper time to coincide with this change? Since we've not made any ourselves, the next most reasonable culprit would be a Windows update, but looking at my own update history, I don't see anything that lines up. That said, there is no guarantee at all that we'll both have installed updates at the same time, so definitely worth a look all the same. :+1:

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

@bundtkate

P.S. I decided to test this problem in other languages. I tried most languages - but this screen is always English ...

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

There is still a moment that bothers me.
    I have a Russian and English keyboard in my system:

And, of course, I enter the Master Password using the English keyboard layout.

(English keyboard layout enabled)

(Russian keyboard layout is included)
    When entering a password, most programs / sites remind me if I have a Russian keyboard turned on - so that I switch it to English. And here it turns out the opposite. I think this is wrong!

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

This problem is not related to localization. But in order not to create a new topic - I will write about it in "my topic."
    Demo

• If Russian is your default layout, @Artem4ik, it's not going to tell you that you have your default selected. The presumption is that your default is going to be used most of the time so telling you about it would be nagging moreso than helpful.

I'm still a bit stumped on why the Secure Desktop isn't localizing any longer. None of the Windows updates line up and obviously we've not made any changes so there's no clear reason for that behavior to have changed. As a general rule, I kind of hate doing this, but given the sheer number of changes in the latest beta, my inclination is actually to hang tight and see whether the next version fixes this or not. The changes there are so dramatic that finding the root cause of an issue in stable is just shy of useless so I don't want to waste either of our time doing so. I also don't want to ask you to install the beta when you may not be ready to do so. It sounds like this isn't something that gets in the way enough to require an immediate fix, so assuming that's correct, would you mind waiting until 7.4 is fully out the door to stable? If it's still a problem then, we can take a closer look. :+1:

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

@bundtkate
    What keyboard layout would not be the default - we still enter passwords in English. After all, you cannot use Cyrillic when creating logins, passwords ...
    I do not know a single site where it is possible to create a login or password in Russian! Therefore, the English keyboard layout is always used for this ...

• Your point is well-taken, @Artem4ik, but not showing the language chosen whenever you have your default keyboard layout from Windows settings selected – whatever that might be – has been the behavior for several years and yours is the first feedback I've seen on the topic. I'll certainly let the team know you'd prefer to be warned when you're using the Russian layout, but absent others similarly taking issue with this, I don't think we're likely to add the complexity of changing this behavior for a certain subset of languages.

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

This is the maximum width of this column.
    Translators need to try to translate the words in shorter phrases!

I would recommend:
    1. "Повторяющиеся пароли" or "Одинаковые пароли"
    2. "2FA аутентификация"

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

It seems to me that this is not an entirely rational use of the workspace.
    The area where "All Vaults" is written is practically useless, but takes up space. Consider combining these two lines into one or returning as it was.

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

And why the menu in the settings? I think this functionality is redundant and only interferes ...

• MikeT
    edited March 2020

Hi @Artem4ik,

Thanks for suggesting the translations, I'll pass it on to our translation team.

For the titlebar, I'll quote my teammate, Kate in the other thread about the same thing:

We've also changed the titlebar to use Windows' default titlebar and I will admit, I'm not a fan of the default titlebar either. When I first saw it, I'm pretty sure I said "ew" out loud. That said, using our custom titlebar has caused quite a few issues in the past and breaks the system animation for minimizing, etc. It was definitely prettier, but had proven too problematic for us to keep it. Still, we definitely do want to improve upon that long term and will absolutely take advantage of any opportunity to make it look sleeker. Windows is working on some modernization of the titlebar, as well as some other UI elements, that we hope to be able to take advantage of when they're ready. We can't say when that might be, but it's one thing we're really looking forward to as it should give us some tools to improve that look. While I know this won't be the case for everyone, I personally found the titlebar stopped jumping out at me quite so much after a while of using our internal betas. I still don't love it, but it doesn't bother me the way it did when I first saw it. Take that for whatever it might be worth and perhaps you'll feel the same given time.

And why the menu in the settings? I think this functionality is redundant and only interferes ...

Can you explain how it is interfering with you?

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

Can you explain how it is interfering with you?

I just shared my opinion. It seems to me that the menu in the settings is absolutely unnecessary. There is some kind of partial duplication of control - this is not logical.

• There is some kind of partial duplication of control - this is not logical.

What duplication are you referring to?

Note that this Settings view can open without the main interface. If you right-click 1Password mini to select Settings, you'd see why the titlebar is still used here.

You can still lock 1Password, get other options in the menu while you're there. There's no duplication of Settings in 1Password menu either.

This is intentional at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.