Sync problem

I purchased 1PW v6 from the Mac App Store quite some time ago. I have it installed on 2x machines (MBP for travel and a MP at work).
I had to buy a new laptop and stupidly downloaded 1PW v7 from the website rather than re-downloading v6 through the Mac App Store. WhenI opened 1PW v7 and pointed at the vault in Dropbox it upgraded it to a v7 vault.
I then realised my mistake, deleted v7 and reinstalled v6 from the Mac App Store. However, now both machines will only read and write to their own machine and they won't sync between the 2 machines.

Anyone know how I can get back to 1PW v6 working properly please? I don't really want to pay a monthly subscription for software I've already purchased.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.9 (689000) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @Say_Cheese

Welcome to the 1Password Support Forum.

WhenI opened 1PW v7 and pointed at the vault in Dropbox it upgraded it to a v7 vault.

Both 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 can use the OPVault sync format with Dropbox, and we'd recommend doing so. Agile Keychain is fairly outdated at this point, and does not offer the level of protection that OPVault does. You can check which file your installation is syncing to in 1Password > Preferences > Sync > Primary If all of your data is available to you on the computer using the OPVault then I'd recommend the following:

1. On the computer that isn't using the OPVault open but don't unlock 1Password
    2. From the menu bar select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data
    3. Double click on the OPVault file in Dropbox
    4. Delete the Agile Keychain from Dropbox

I don't really want to pay a monthly subscription for software I've already purchased.

To be fair, you wouldn't be paying a subscription for what you've already purchased. What you'd purchased is a 1Password 6 for Mac license. If you were to subscribe that would get you access to 1Password 7 for Mac (and any future upgrades) as well as the other perks of membership:

About 1Password membership

Please let me know how the above turns out.

Ben

• Say_Cheese
    Say_Cheese
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    Thanks for your help. This seems to have worked.

What's the benefits of a subscription over the version I currently have?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Say_Cheese: on behalf of Ben, you are welcome! :)

What's the benefits of a subscription over the version I currently have?

The article that Ben linked to in his post has a summary of all the features you get with a Membership. A Membership offers a lot of features that you don't get with a standalone license: all the devices you need are included for free, sync happens automatically, backups are taken care of straight away, everything you would expect is there. You get storage for secured documents, item history, watchtower, travel mode, ease of sharing with your family, team or business should you want to upgrade from an individuals membership later on and more.

I hope this helps!

• Say_Cheese
    Say_Cheese
    Community Member

Thank you. I'll look into it.
    Am I right in thinking that if I want to use the latest OS X when it comes out later this year I'll have to upgrade anyway?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Say_Cheese:

1Password 6 might still continue to work on the next macOS version, but we can't say the same thing for future versions of the operating system. In any case, 1Password is security software, so it's still a good idea to keep that updated as well, together with the rest of your system ;)

This discussion has been closed.