To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How to recover "lost" vault

Options

Hi all,

Apple Support asked me to make a full backup of my phone through itunes, restore it and set it up as new to troubleshoot what ended being a faulty iPhone X screen.

The biggest issue being that my personal vault, I think, was a local one so it is kept in my backup file and I am unable to retrieve it without going back to that now old itunes backup.

After all the subscription debate and 1password going back to allowing local vaults, what is the best way to get that vault back.

Important: I was gifted 1password when I was an Apple employee, so I also need support I guess reenabling that "purchase" but haven't found a proper way to do so.

Many thanks for your help,

Enric

1Password Version: 7.3.4
Extension Version: NA
OS Version: iOS 12.3 and 12.4
Sync Type: local I believe

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @EAGroupTechnologies,

If the only backup of the vault is in a full iTunes backup of the iOS device then the path of least resistance will be to restore that backup. I suspect you would want to do something along the following.

1. In iTunes enter iTunes preferences and switch to the Devices tab.
    2. If you haven't already archive your existing backup of this device, you can do this by selecting it in the list, right clicking on it and selecting the Archive menu option.
    3. Create a fresh backup and archive that as well. This is just so that in retrieving the old vault you don't lose anything that has happened since the previous backup e.g. app user data, messages and so on.
    4. Restore the backup with the vault.
    5. On the device launch 1Password for iOS.

Now the following will largely depend on what you plan on doing going forward.

If you're thinking is a 1Password account I would:
    1. Either add your existing 1Password account to this copy of 1Password for iOS or create an account and add it.
    2. With the 1Password account not attached to the same copy of 1Password as your local vault use out support page Move and copy items to help copy everything from the local vault to the 1Password account vault.
    3. Restore the backup you in in step 3 of the first steps, the new backup before you created after archiving the first.
    4. Set up 1Password for iOS and connect it to the 1Password account.

As you copied everything from the local vault to the 1Password account vault all the items will now be present given the 1Password account vaults are hosted (encrypted) on our server.

If you're thinking of remaining with a local vault I would:
    1. In 1Password for iOS navigate to Settings > Advanced and tap the button Create Backup.
    2. In iTunes navigate to the File Sharing tab for the connected iOS device and select 1Password from the list.
    3. Select the Backups folder and then use the Save... button to save this folder to your desktop.
    4. Restore the backup you in in step 3 of the first steps, the new backup before you created after archiving the first.
    5. Back in the File Sharing tab in iTunes, use the Add... button to add the Backups folder to 1Password.
    6. On the iOS device launch 1Password for iOS. Assuming it needs to be set up the welcome screen should contain an Import from file option near the bottom, you will need to scroll to locate it. Follow the prompts.

Needing to ensure restoring the old backup doesn't lose you anything complicates the steps a little in that you need to jump between backups in iTunes and use its archive feature to ensure you don't lose one during all the backing up and restoring. If you don't care about anything that has happened since the original backup then the steps can be simplified a little. Hopefully the steps for both moving to a 1Password account and retaining the local vault cover whatever your thoughts are going forward. If you haven't considered a 1Password account it may be worth doing so, all of the above wouldn't be needed with a 1Password account, not given our server hosts your encrypted data. All you would needed to have done in that scenario was connect a new copy of 1Password to the account and that would have been it.

In terms of any previous purchase of either 1Password for iOS or the later in-app purchase there isn't much we can do. Everything is tied to your Apple ID and only Apple can assist in those kind of support questions. If whatever you had was tied to your current Apple ID then it should be present if you download 1Password for iOS using that same ID.

• EAGroupTechnologies
    EAGroupTechnologies
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks, will follow these steps tonight and report back.

As far as the purchase, shouldn't it show on your systems that my apple ID had a valid purchase of the 1 password for IOS app?

Kind regards,

EAGT

• Ben
    Options

@EAGroupTechnologies

As far as the purchase, shouldn't it show on your systems that my apple ID had a valid purchase of the 1 password for IOS app?

Apple does not share the Apple IDs of purchases made through their App Stores with app developers. That end of it is handled by Apple.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.