Personal or Private for the first vault created?

Cartman
Cartman
Community Member
edited March 2018 in Business and Teams

I noticed when creating new accounts the name of Personal vaults is now defaulting to Private? Is that the new standard? I don't see the ability to rename the first Personal/Private vault that gets created.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Cartman,

Yea, the name of that vault changed at one point. We used to always name them "Personal", but now we only name it "Personal" for the vault created for users in an individual 1Password account. Now in the case of 1Password Teams and Families, it's named Private.

Unfortunately since those vault names are encrypted with your vault key, and we don't have your vault key, it's not possible for us to migrate that and make it the same for everyone. We currently have no feature that allows you to rename the Personal vault, but I suspect that that will change at one point. I can't think of any real reason for why we wouldn't allow users to rename that vault.

Rick

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Hi @rickfillion,

I understand it isn't possible to change now, when I subscribed it was named Personal but I hope it would be possible to change current Personal Vaults for Teams Users to Private one day.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, we'd like to make it possible for users to rename their Personal/Private vaults in the future as well. Thanks! :)

• Cartman
    Cartman
    Community Member

Thank you both! Would be nice to have consistency for all employees. Will look forward to being able to rename it but it is really a low priority so keep up all the other great stuff you are working on.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Haha I understand completely! There can be confusion already when we're talking to customers too about Personal, Private, and Primary vaults. If we make it possible to change the name, I'd like us to add some kind of icon to the "main" vault to at least make it easy to differentiate from the others. Thanks for your feedback on this, and encouragement! :chuffed:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Apologies for the double post. I meant to post here but inadvertently posted this in the iOS Forum.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/518833#Comment_518833

I hope so! :)

I know it isn't possible yet to differentiate Business, Families and Local Primary Vaults. Right now because I was an early adopter for Teams Pro (now Business), Private vault was previously called Personal. And with Families, the Personal vault is called Personal? Now add up to 5 Personal Vaults from 1Password Families!

Primary vault is Primary. I am clear on the name. It's been around for over 1 decade for 1Password Standalone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

And with Families, the Personal vault is called Personal?

For all new group membership accounts -- families, teams, business -- the vault which is only accessible to the user and can never be shared is called "Private". That doesn't retroactively change existing accounts, just new ones will use this.

Now add up to 5 Personal Vaults from 1Password Families!

Each 1Password membership account will only have a single Personal/Private vault which can never be shared.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@brenty,

I have been in Teams Pro now Business and forgot there is a trial period of 30 days? I should start with a trial for Families. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If 1Password Families has all the features you need for your own personal/family use, I'd go with that. 1Password Business is a better option if you need more powerful access controls for managing data within your company though.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@brenty, I am in a SOHO environment. I want to separate personal from work. Thanks. I will carry on the discussion with Alex.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Gotcha. Sounds good. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.