1 Password X beta for Firefox [Now available! 🎉]

cbergmann
cbergmann
Community Member

Hi there, after some years of using chrome I currently tip my toes into using firefox some more. I use 1password x under Arch linux. I was on the beta train for the chrome extension but I could not find a way to install the firefox beta version. Is there a Firefox beta and if so how do I install it?

Kind regards
Clemens

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @cbergmann – thanks for being on the beta train with us thus far!

At the moment, we don't have the option to install the 1Password X beta in Firefox. It's something that's been requested in the past, though, so it's on our radar. We appreciate your interest. :)

• cbergmann
    cbergmann
    Community Member

Hi @kaitlyn, thanks for the reply. Is there an option to get notified when this changes (ticket or thread to subscribe to) or should I look out in the changelog?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Good question, @cbergmann! I'll go ahead and track that on my side of things so we can make sure we reach out to folks if a Firefox beta does become available in the future. I've added this forum thread to the list so we can comment here and you should get a notification. :)

ref: x/b5x#1296

• cbergmann
    cbergmann
    Community Member

Thanks for that. I look forward to hearing from you.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Anytime! :+1:

• mosi76
    mosi76
    Community Member

Just want to add my vote to see this happen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. I would too. Hopefully we'll have enough bandwidth for this in the future. :)

• chrism229
    chrism229
    Community Member

I guess this answers the question I sent to Support yesterday. I've used 1PW for years and recently switched to an account so I could use it on Linux as well as my Macs. Firefox is my browser, and while the old '1Password extension (Desktop app required)' lets me use TouchID, it doesn't work on the '1Password X extension'. I'll keep using the old extension until there is a version for Firefox with Desktop app integration, or even just TouchID functionality. My master password is very long and it's a pain to keep on having to type it! I'd be happy to try out a beta if and when.....

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your input, @chrism229. It's good to know we have a few users who would get on board with a Firefox beta if we do put one out there. :)

• Biersmurf
    Biersmurf
    Community Member

I would not mind testing it on Firefox also espescially I am looking for the option that is integrated with the local stored database in the app instead of the x vault

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Biersmurf: as I replied to your in your other discussion you created, 1Password X is only available with 1Password Memberships. Thank you for letting us know that you would be willing to test 1Password X in Firefox though, it's really appreciated!

• buckZor
    buckZor
    Community Member

Would really be nice if you'd get this out for those of us who value PRIVACY and would never install Google Chrome on any system we use, or support.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @buckZor,

I know it isn't quite what you've asked for but the 1Password X Chrome extension should work for any Chromium based browser out there, you shouldn't feel limited to only Google Chrome. I'm a fan of Vivaldi, brought to us by many of the same people who were behind the original pioneering Opera. There's also Brave who has Brendan Eich associated with it, co-founder of the Mozilla project and creator of JavaScript according to a quick search. As they're both based on the Chromium browser they'll work with the 1Password X beta extension in the Chrome store.

Neither is a beta extension for Firefox but if it's specifically Google Chrome you have an aversion to then one of them may be a worth alternative.

• mosi76
    mosi76
    Community Member

Hey @littlebobbytables,

I just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation of Vivaldi. I am giving it a test drive on my Mac and I am absolutely loving it so far. Without your comment, I highly doubt I would have come across it. Thanks again!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @mosi76,

I'm happy I could help and I do love hearing of Vivaldi converts :lol: I was a big Opera fan back in the early days when they helped set trends and I remember being quite smug when it was found all the browsers that autofilled fields were vulnerable to a particular form of attack - Opera was the exception because any filling was user invoked much like 1Password still is today. So I had to jump on to Vivaldi when I found out it was the same people that shaped my early browser expectations and experiences :smile:

I believe the current Opera browser has switched hands a couple of times now since those glory days so it isn't the same browser it once was. It still has its fans but I'm rooting for Vivaldi.

• chrispix
    chrispix
    Community Member

Adding my vote for a 1Password X Beta for Firefox

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. I hope we'll have bandwidth to maintain multiple betas in the future. :)

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member

1PassX integration with the main app, please. Beta or otherwise. :)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your input, @virtualbartek! Are you running Windows or macOS? If the latter, I've got some good news for you. Desktop App Integration is currently in the beta stage on macOS. Keep in mind that you would need to use Chrome since that's where we offer the 1Password X beta. You can learn more here.

If you're on Windows, then be patient with us while we get everything ironed out on macOS. We're looking forward to what the future holds. :)

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member

No, I difinately didn't mean Chrome. I'm currently on Firefox. I know about the Chrome beta but I'm waiting to get this in a more serious browser. Thanks.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Good news everyone, our developers have decided to release a beta version for Firefox on a trial basis for interested users. Please keep an eye out on this forum for more news and information but meanwhile, you can grab a copy of the beta from here.

Of course, as with all beta software, certain features may be somewhat unstable so necessary caution is always advised.

• chrispix
    chrispix
    Community Member

Awesome, thx!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@chrispix – Of course! Let us know if you run into any trouble. :)

• noiramnesiac
    noiramnesiac
    Community Member

swwweeet!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

❤️

• jnielson94
    jnielson94
    Community Member

Thanks for adding a firefox beta!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @jnielson94!

• hatertot31
    hatertot31
    Community Member

The download link for the beta keeps giving a connection error and won't install. Is there another link available?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hatertot31: That's a problem with your setup: something is interfering with Firefox's ability to connect securely to download it. This should help:

https://support.1password.com/firefox-connection-failure/

But ultimately you should figure out what it is that's performing a person-in-the-middle attack on you and get that sorted -- likely "security" software or other extensions.

• cpickslay
    cpickslay
    Community Member

Is the beta available for Safari?

This discussion has been closed.