Upgrade options from 1Password 4

Options

I am currently using 1Password 4 for Windows as my main password manager. I'm using Dropbox to sync vaults across 3 Windows computers and 2 iPhones. I've recently added another Windows computer and can no longer easily add Dropbox due to multiple computer syncing (more than 3) going behind a paywall.

I'm looking for advice on how best to upgrade 1Password 4 to allow me to 1) Transfer my vault to the new version, 2) Upgrade to a new, fully supported version that brings back Chrome browser extensions, 3) Allows syncing across the 6 devices noted, 4) Maintains access to future versions of 1Password and 5) Minimizes cost.

Specific questions from researching your current offerings:
1. Will the 1Password 7 membership allow me to share across 6 devices, similar to what I'm doing now?
2. Do I need to use 1Password Family instead to allow that level of sharing?
3. Is there a license option for 1Password rather than a subscription model?
4. Is syncing vaults through 1Password only available through the subscription model? Or is it also available through a license model?

Thank you!

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10, iOS
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gsmaster,

So a 1Password account allows you to connect as many copies of 1Password to it as you have devices, the only limitation is we support the platform. We have native clients for macOS, Windows, iOS and Android and for Linux and ChromeOS there's the standalone 1Password X extension (which only works with 1Password accounts). So 6 devices is no trouble at all. All members of an active 1Password account are also entitled to update to the current version of 1Password as soon as it's available, the service wouldn't be much use without the clients after all :smile:

The number of devices or lack of a limit holds true over all of the 1Password account offerings. If it's just you then a 1Password Individuals account is all you need. If you have family members that you wish to use 1Password as well then the 1Password Families offers two compelling advantages over the 1Password Individuals account, it's more cost effective, a 1Password Families allows up to five family members right out of the door while also costing less than two 1Password Individuals accounts. A 1Password Families account also allows you to create and share vaults between the family members with a fraction of the setup that went with using Dropbox. Our support page Create and share vaults will give you an idea of our attempt at making this all much easier.

1Password 7 does still a licence with standalone vaults though for those that feel strongly about the subscription model. Our licences are per platform, so a separate licence for macOS to Windows but like before they allow that one person to install it on as many devices as they have so 2-3 Windows PCs would be a single licence. The licences are per user though so two individuals would mean two licences. 1Password 7 for Windows only supports Dropbox for local vault syncing but that one works across macOS, iOS, Windows and Android so if there's only going to be one option it's not a bad one.

If you have any follow-up questions please do let us know and we'll do our best to answer them.

Each new 1Password account does start with a 30 day trial so it would give you a chance to try it out and see what you think before committing.

This discussion has been closed.