How secure is an EXCEL or WORD document after it has been uploaded to 1password?

dcc0925
dcc0925
Community Member

How secure is an EXCEL or WORD document after it has been uploaded to 1password? Is it basically protected by the master password of 1Password? Do i need to delete the original WORD/EXCEL file from my computer after uploading it to 1password? Should I use the Microsoft encryption feature before uploading the document to 1password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How secure is an EXCEL or WORD document after it has been uploaded to 1password? Is it basically protected by the master password of 1Password? Do i need to delete the original WORD/EXCEL file from my computer after uploading it to 1password? Should I use the Microsoft encryption feature before uploading the document to 1password?

Comments

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

It is as secure as everything else in 1Password, it is encrypted with AES with a key that is derived from your Masterpassword (and Secret Key in case you use a membership). So no, it is not protected by the Masterpassword directly, it is protected by a key that is derived from your Masterpassword.
    In case you want to keep prying eyes from the document, yes you should delete it from other places where it is saved, especially if they are in a cloud.

It does not hurt to also use Microsofts Encryption but it also does not really add security because in case the algorithm is successfully attacked (very unlikely, but well, everything‘s possible theoretically) the Encryption by Microsoft is broken as well since it uses the same mathematical principles. If your machine is compromised and your attacked by e.g. logging your keys, it does not add security as well since the password for the file could be compromised just as easily as your masterpassword.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dcc0925!

I am not sure I can add much more to peacekeeper's excellent answer, so please let us know if you have any additional questions about this :)

This discussion has been closed.