Remove Duplicates "Tool"?

Hi!
I have been looking around the forums and I found a few posts mentioning a tool to remove duplicates.
I have imported data from Chrome and Lastpass and unfortunately, I have a lot of entries that are the same. Could someone point me to the right direction? I cannot find the tool mentioned...

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1803
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:duplicates

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Zettai,

Thank you for reaching out! :+1:

A tool that would allow 1Password to remove duplicates in your vault is not implemented in 1Password for Windows yet. It is already available in 1Password 7 for Mac, so that might be the reason why you got confused. I am sorry about that.

Please try to use Reused Passwords in Watchtower to find the duplicates and get rid of them one by one. You can also try to move everything to Trash and import your data once again, this time only from one source (Chrome or LastPass).

Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience and confusion. Let me know if you have other questions, I will be happy to help. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• wcraytor
    wcraytor
    Community Member

I have 800 password duplicates created in upgrading from 1Password 4 to 1Password 7. Not my fault. I don't have time to delete 400 passwords.

• If these duplicates appeared when upgrading and you did this upgrade recently, @wcraytor, then it may be as simple as removing an extra vault from 1Password 7. If you press Ctrl + D in 1Password 7, do you see two vaults in your sidebar – one named "Personal" and another under "On this PC"? If so, try selecting each in your sidebar. Item counts roughly the same? No duplicates in either vault? If so, and you haven't made any changes to your data since the upgrade, you can hover over the vault under "On this PC", click ..., then select "Remove vault" and that will likely get rid of your dupes. This just means you migrated your data to your new 1Password account, but didn't remove your original vault. These steps will remove that old vault and leave you with just your new one. Keep in mind, too, that this doesn't delete your old .opvault folder either, so if you need to recover it for any reason, you absolutely can.

I hope this helps, but if you have any questions I'm happy to help. I'm also more than happy to take a peek at your setup so I can be more certain of what happened, if that helps you feel more comfortable. Just let me know. :chuffed:

• chugheslcpc
    chugheslcpc
    Community Member

I have the same issue as wcrator; I migrated to 1pw 7 and now have duplicates. Following Bundtkate's instructions, I see I have two vaults:
    "Personal" which contains 448 items with dups for most of them.
    "1password on this pc" which contains 221 items with only a couple dups.
    Any ideas on how to fix this?

• I've replied to you in the thread you started earlier, @chugheslcpc. In the future, please refrain from double-posting. I know that waiting for an answer can stink, but posting in multiple threads just means we have to look in several places for info and generally slows things down. It's much easier for us to answer you quickly with everything in one place. Thanks! :chuffed:

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@sarumbear: We understand that Windows is a popular OS. Moreover, this is part of the reason why we decided to build 1Password 7 for Windows from the ground up – we wanted to use up-to-date technologies to make everything right. However, it means that we have a lot of catching up to do now and our update is taking longer than expected. I apologise for this inconvenience.

I can't say when this tool will be available on Windows, but please be sure that it is on our list, we did not forget about it. If you have any questions about this whole situation, please let us know. We are ready to answer them. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Unfortunately a "duplicates tool" is not something we're going to be able to prioritize above all the other work that needs to be done, as it's only useful to people who create duplicates in the first place. We do plan on adding something similar to the feature we added in the Mac app to help with this not long ago (neither the Mac feature nor the current Windows app existed six years ago), but there are many other features/improvements which will help more people that need our attention first. I'm sorry that's not the answer anyone wants. Ideally we'd be able to do everything at once, but in reality we need to focus on things that benefit the greatest number of users.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

There are two ways to get actual duplicates migrating to a 1Password account:

• Migrated the data once on one device, and then the same data again on another device.
    • Manually copied data from the old vault to the new one one too many times.

Neither of those things happens automatically. You would have had to instruct 1Password to do it. Depending on what was done exactly, you may have a dated "import" tag for the extra stuff, which would make those items easy to find and delete.

However, perhaps more likely, you've simply got your old vault and your account -- now both with the same data -- in the app still. That would be worth checking. If everything needed is in the account already (can be verified easily by signing into https://start.1password.com in your web browser), and there is more than just the account setup in the app, you'd see "duplicates" when viewing multiple vaults with the same data. If there is a "Primary"/"On this PC" vault, in addition to the account, that will likely be the problem; and the solution would be to remove it.

This discussion has been closed.