After installation on local user account, 1Password shortcut icons missing

On a Windows 10 machine, I have an administrator account and a local user account. Regardless of how I install (while logged in as administrator) or the local user account (running the installation file as administrator), the installation finishes and launches 1Password. I can login and see my vault contents, however, on the local user account, there are no shortcuts created for 1Password. In addition, even searching for it in %localappdata% fails to find it. So, what gives? I've tried to uninstall completely (going into the admin account and deleting the localappdata relevant folder after uninstall, and still nothing.)

I know where it's installing (c:\users\adminaccount\AppData\Local\1Password) but of course since it's installed there, if I want to run it, the local user account would have to authenticate each time they run the program. Definitely not ideal.

On a similar note, It would be really great if the 1Password uninstaller would actually fully uninstall on Windows. It's very time consuming to administer a bunch of computers and have to run additional scripts after an uninstaller.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password teams

Comments

• opticalserenity
    opticalserenity
    Community Member

Update: After completely uninstalling (running uninstall procedure AND deleting the localappdata folder on all user accounts) I set the local user account to an administrator account. Ran the 1Password installation file while logged in as that user, then logged out and set that account again to just a local user account. Phew...I'd love to see 1Password one day embrace MSPs and make it easier to administer from a cloud console.

• It's likely your issues were related to installing as admin, @opticalserenity. 1Password is designed to be installed as a normal user, even if you're using an admin account. Installing with elevated privileges can create permissions issues, and doing so on an admin account could potentially yield issues for other users as well. In addition, I'm not sure exactly what shortcuts you were expecting but the only one we create is a Start menu shortcut. If you install as a normal user, you should get 1Password for that user only and a start menu shortcut. If that's what you're seeing under those circumstances, 1Password is working as expected for the moment. One goal with moving to an in-house installer, however, is to expand the options available when installing 1Password. While there aren't many just yet, it is something we want to allow for moving forward, so keep an eye out. :chuffed:

• dfuerpo
    dfuerpo
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

This same thing has happened to me on a new Windows 10 laptop. I installed 1Password (7.3.684) under the initial default administrator account and then couldn't find the app when I created a normal (non-admin) account. Do I need to uninstall 1Password and reinstall under the normal account? Or just install again under the normal account?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dfuerpo,

I believe I have answered your question here already ;)

This discussion has been closed.