1Password rating password "terrible"?

lyons238
lyons238
Community Member
edited August 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello,

I'm wondering why 1Password is calling some of my passwords "terrible" when I know it's not correct. Most of these were passwords created in my browser and then saved to 1Password with the browser extension (Firefox). How can I fix this?

Thank you,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Could you let me know what version of 1Password on what device you're seeing these passwords rated as "Terrible"? Are you seeing the same password strength on other devices? Thanks!

• andsten
    andsten
    Community Member

Taking the liberty to hijack this as I'm seeing the same issue on the native macOS app.

1Password 7
    Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
    1Password Store

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @andsten,

This is a thread about 1Password for Windows, so I am not sure if your issue with 1Password 7 for Mac is related. Could you please tell us how you generated those passwords? Have you used 1Password X or our "standard" 1Password extension? Do you see those password strength warnings on other devices as well?

Thanks in advance! :+1:

++
    Greg

• andsten
    andsten
    Community Member

Yeah, noted the OS discrepancy. Do feel free to move me or tell me to go elsewhere if this helps on your end, naturally.

I'm not sure that all the offending passwords were created in the same fashion, but at least a number of the offending ones were saved via 1Password X (1.16.0) in Chrome.

• This is likely the result of a known issue with how 1Password for Mac is currently handling password strength for generated passwords created by other platforms, @andsten. All of them are great with their own generated passwords because it's easy for 1Password for Mac to know that a 1Password for Mac generated password is, in fact, generated. Not quite so easy to know that a different 1Password client generated that password and 1Password for Mac is currently mishandling one method of getting that heads up. This means it's a bit too mean (to varying degrees) to passwords generated by other apps, including 1Password X. Apologies for the confusion – 1Password X is still giving you good, strong passwords, but 1Password for Mac is getting that message right now. We're working on getting it fixed up. :+1:

ref: apple-2918

This discussion has been closed.