1password X doesn't clear the clipboard

1password x 1.15.6,
MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

• when using firefox, vivaldi or brave copied passwords stay in clipboard, how can I stop this?
  • when using a clipboard manager like paste 2.4.4. (https://pasteapp.me/) passwords appear in the clipboard history. Of course I could put the browser in the exception list, but then any content I copy in the browser is lost for the clipboard manager.

Any suggestions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.15.6
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:clipboard 1passwordx

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2019

Hi @RalfB! Thanks for bringing this up. We've got some similar issues open at the moment, so I'll add your input there. From what we've gathered so far, there isn't an API in the browser that would allow us to distinguish that you're copying a password, and since 1Password X operates solely inside the browser, that's where we run into some limitations. We may have more leeway with 1Password integrating with the 1Password for Mac app using Desktop App Integration, though, so perhaps it's something we can revisit in the future.

ref: x/b5x#478
    ref: x/b5x#1319

• John76
    John76
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Hi @kaitlyn
    I think the above should be revisited.
    True the browser extension can't tell if you manually mark the password and copy it.
    But if you click the copy button next to the password there is no reason for the app not to know it just sent the password to the clipboard and it can set a timer that will clear it.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, @John76. I've passed it along to the rest of my team. The issue is that the app you're copying from isn't 1Password – it's Chrome. That said, we're continuing to explore other ways we can achieve the same result. Again, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. :)

ref: dev/core/core#225

This discussion has been closed.